Clutch not moving after replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch not moving after replacement

ParkerRocker

Reaction score
City, State
Hayden, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer Sport
I replaced the Master Cylinder, Slave Cylinder, Clutch, Pressure Plate and Flywheel during this repair. And now the clutch pedal has NO pressure, and the clutch isn't engaging. I know that bleeding these systems is a pain in the ass, can anybody help me?

I already took the master cylinder off the wall and bled it at the opposite angle like is suggested other places, but still no luck.

My Chilton's manual (which is always sooooo vehicle specific -_-) says that the quick disconnect coupling tends to retain air, does anybody know anything about that?

PLEASE HELP ME! I'm about ready to blow up my exploder, and I dont really want to do that, because deep down, I still love her...
:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you bleed the slave cylinder? I don't know the particulars on it but it needs to be done if you haven't.

well i bled the slave as well, but when i disconnect the slave, and hold my finger over the line and somebody presses the clutch, I am able to hold all of the pressure back with just mmy finger. So I know that i need to worry about the master first.

Which master cylinder did you get? The newer ones from Ford have an "improved" design that doesn't have the issues with trapping air the old ones did, you can usually just bleed them off the truck, install, bleed the system, and forget it.

You won't want to hear this, but if nothing works at all, it could be a bad slave cylinder, which means doing the whole thing all over again...

Finally got her finished. I was afraid that I messed up something really bad, like putting the clutch in backwards or something. But in the end I figured it out, and I figured I would add my two cents to this ridiculous design.

I removed the master cylinder from the firewall and positioned it so that I had i in one hand, and was holding the reservoir in the other. I was then able to shift the master back and forth to dislodge any air trapped inside, which simply bubbled up through the reservoir. When I could no longer get any bubbles, I put a pair of vice grips on the hose (so that I wouldn't accidentally introduce any air back into the system) and reinstalled everything. Pressure was back!

Now it's shifting really rough, hopefully thats just cuz I cant drive my car with a new clutch. :)

Shifting roughly?

With the clutch pressed all the way in does it shift smoothly through 1st - 5th? If it is a little rough even when not moving it could still have a few bubbles in the system. Causing the slave cylinder to not completely disengage the clutch.

Another way to test whether or not the clutch is completely disengaging is to go to a fairly level area where the vehicle will not roll when in neutral and the parking brake is off.

Put it gear with the clutch all the way in, if it creeps forward when in gear but does not creep forward when in neutral the clutch isn't entirely disengaging, which could mean a few different things. Either you still need to find a few more bubbles or your slave cylinder is bad.

Back