Clutch pedal position has me scratching my head | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch pedal position has me scratching my head

Cole94

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT 4dr 4x4
so I did a M5OD swap on my 94
Swap came from a 91, which coincidentally was a swap as well.
I didnt swap any hydraulics out because they were new.
I found out afterwards a 91 master does not work with a 94, but i made it work by bending the shaft that goes from the pedal to the master
But its still not great
Pedal sticks out a solid 2 inches further than i feel it should
Is this how its supposed to be? If not, can I get a 94 master and fit it to the 91 line? I believe its the roll-pin type retainer between the master and line.
Or do I need to pull all of the clutch hydraulics and swap them all to 94?
Pictures attached (ignore the nightmare of stereo wires, thats another project for another day)

Attachments

• 20201006_151101.jpg
    20201006_151101.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20201006_151001.jpg
    20201006_151001.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 58

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 5 speed in mine. The clutch pedal should be even with the brake pedal. Sorry I can't help with the mix and match situation. I've only replaced my components with exact matches.

you should use a 94 master cylinder

The 91 style hydraulic line should fit the 94 master cylinder you will have to press out the pin (very simple)

Thank you guys, thats what I needed to hear.
Now I hope I can bench bleed one properly the first try, but we will see. Thisll be my first experience with clutch hydraulics.

OH well then check this out

Quick way to get any trapped air out

I wonder what the difference is between a 91 master cyl and a 94?
Have to look it up

Your 91 master cylinder is same as the earlier models and will only fit a 91 truck
Luk LMC169

Luk LMC183
The 94 MC is different only fits 93-94 trucks

The slave cylinder is also different 91 vs 94
91:
LUK LSC002B

94:
LUK LSC003B

If I was to install this 5 speed for you I would have used 1994 master cylinder, hydraulic line and slave cylinder all from LUK only
You are mix matching hydraulic parts
IT may or may not work
If you have trouble with the pedal travel and clutch opening and closing fully you might have to start fresh and install all 94 hydraulics

Im just not sure what changed from 91-92 explorer as far as the firewall (where the clutch MC mounts) It has been too long since I worked with those trucks
perhaps somebody here will chime in

Back