Clutch Pedal to Floor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch Pedal to Floor

nimblemotors

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 5.0
I've got another explorer, this one a 97 Sport 4wd with 5-speed manual.
Clutch was a problem, it didn't fully release when pressed.
I bleeded it today and flushed out some pretty bad fluid, but no real air bubbles.
It now works OK, but I must press the clutch pedal to the floor, anything less and it doesn't work.

So I'm wondering if this is normal (all mine have been automatics in the past),
or does it indicate a worn slave cylinder/throw out bearing?

Can I fix it by lengthing the clutch master cylinder rod so it fully engages sooner? Can the master cylinder handle that, or does going to the floor already press into the master cylinder all the way?

Appreciate any info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check for adjustment of the clutch fork and that it's not bent.

Get somebody to operate the pedal while you look at the master and slave to see if everything is moving the way it should.

Usually if they are worn they will leak. Old fluid is a sign they have been in there awhile. Sometimes it's hard on these to get all the air out.

If all is well then it's possible the leaf springs on the pressure plate is weak and it's time for a new clutch assembly.

So it isn't normal then to go to the floor. There are no leaks. Truck has only 137k, and clutch has no slip. A search does show up some examples of the pedal assembly cracking, I'll take a close look for that. Otherwise, can't I just make the rod longer?

When the clutch disc is wore out it slips. When the pressure plate wears out it starts getting harder to change gears to the point of grinding the gears because you are not getting good separation on the clutch discs. When that happens you risk breaking the brass synchronizers in the tranny so it's important you fix it right.

The pressure plate springs have only a certain amount of travel so a longer rod won't buy you more separation as there is no more to give.

I've always and most replace the whole clutch assembly but it's possible the last person had limited funds and changed only the clutch disc last time. Maybe it's original and was city driven where the pressure plate springs got used a lot.

Clutches last usually 100,000-140,000 miles so you are probably there. There are so many variables like the driver, do they ride the clutch? Is the car driven most on the highway or city where there is a bunch of shifting? Is it a small car versus a truck that tows something? So you really can't give a solid answer to that question. Take a good driver and highway miles and you probably can go further.

One slim chance to look for is make sure the bell housing bolts are tight. I have seen one guy change a motor and didn't tighten the housing bolts up. It gave the appearance of a clutch going bad as the bolts slowly backed out.

There is nothing you can do with the push rod, and it wouldn't work if you could. With your symptoms, you almost surely have a bad slave cylinder. It can be worn out and leaking a little even if you don't see a leak (it would be inside the bell housing anyway). Look through the rubber inspection port -- you should measure 5/16" travel in the throw-out bearing. Any less and something is wrong. When you take it apart, replace everything in there (it's too much work to get cheap with parts). There may be a problem with the pressure plate, but it doesn't change the fix.

Back