Clutch Pilot Bearing: Is there a sleeve? Where to get one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch Pilot Bearing: Is there a sleeve? Where to get one?

Dubious_Downfall

Reaction score
City, State
Fife, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Mazda Navajo LX
Alright. I've got a 93 Explorer Sport 4x4. My clutch started slipping. It got pretty bad pretty quickly, despite having the clutch replaced at the end of last year. I have concluded that the rear main seal probably failed and leaked oil onto my clutch. Either that, or the flywheel failed. Either way, I'm replacing EVERYTHING! Rear main seal, master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch kit, flywheel, hydraulic lines, fluid reservoir, pilot bearing, and my exhaust y-pipe (my current y-pipe is still cut from the last time the clutch was changed). I am unaware of the condition of the flywheel during or after the clutch change. I didn't do it. An old co-worker did the clutch and a motor replacement for me. The pipe is still cut because his welder broke.

Ater looking at tutorials for replacing the flywheel, I realized I need to press a bearing into the flywheel myself, because it doesn't come with one. The tutorial I'm currently following shows a sleeve that gets pressed into the flywheel before the bearing.

Did some shopping and found two options for bearings on RockAuto. One is the needle bearing, which is most common and also the one depicted in the tutorial I'm following. But, none of them come with a sleeve, at least from what I've seen. There is, however, another option that is described as a needle bearing, but basically looks like it would go on a skateboard.

My questions are: If I buy the first bearing, do I also need to buy a sleeve? And if so, where can I find one?

Bonus questions: Is that second style of bearing just a different style that also fits and works? And if it is, does IT need a sleeve?

Any input at all is very appreciated. I'm extremely nervous about doing such an involved repair myself on my daily driver.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright. I've got a 93 Explorer Sport 4x4. My clutch started slipping. It got pretty bad pretty quickly, despite having the clutch replaced at the end of last year. I have concluded that the rear main seal probably failed and leaked oil onto my clutch. Either that, or the flywheel failed. Either way, I'm replacing EVERYTHING! Rear main seal, master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch kit, flywheel, hydraulic lines, fluid reservoir, pilot bearing, and my exhaust y-pipe (my current y-pipe is still cut from the last time the clutch was changed). I am unaware of the condition of the flywheel during or after the clutch change. I didn't do it. An old co-worker did the clutch and a motor replacement for me. The pipe is still cut because his welder broke.

Ater looking at tutorials for replacing the flywheel, I realized I need to press a bearing into the flywheel myself, because it doesn't come with one. The tutorial I'm currently following shows a sleeve that gets pressed into the flywheel before the bearing.

Did some shopping and found two options for bearings on RockAuto. One is the needle bearing, which is most common and also the one depicted in the tutorial I'm following. But, none of them come with a sleeve, at least from what I've seen. There is, however, another option that is described as a needle bearing, but basically looks like it would go on a skateboard.

My questions are: If I buy the first bearing, do I also need to buy a sleeve? And if so, where can I find one?

Bonus questions: Is that second style of bearing just a different style that also fits and works? And if it is, does IT need a sleeve?

Any input at all is very appreciated. I'm extremely nervous about doing such an involved repair myself on my daily driver.
@Dubious_Downfall

The input shaft pilot bearing is pressed into the CRANKSHAFT, not the flywheel. It may be a plain bushing, or needle bearing. The latter is better. When you get ready to yank the old bearing out, give a holler, I'll tell an easy way.......imp

@Dubious_Downfall

The input shaft pilot bearing is pressed into the CRANKSHAFT, not the flywheel. It may be a plain bushing, or needle bearing. The latter is better. When you get ready to yank the old bearing out, give a holler, I'll tell an easy way.......imp

I'm replacing everything, so I don't need to press out the old bearing. I already bought a new one. I just need to press the new bearing and sleeve into the new flywheel.

Huuuge thanks to soon2bexplorer2 for the response. I hopped on ebay, found the part number, and ordered it. That solves that problem. Seriously, thank you!

Good news! My flywheel came in the mail on the same day as the bushing. More good news! The flywheel came with a bushing pre-pressed into it, so I don't have to press it in.

Bad news! Someone tried to break into my truck. They tore ALL of the weather stripping off around the driver's window. Apparently, someone scared them off, because everything is still in my truck, including literally all of my parts and tools. Now my window can be pulled open enough to reach a hand in, and won't keep out moisture.

I'll be honest. I love this truck. It's the first vehicle I ever bought myself. I put a new engine and hours of blood, sweat, and determination into her. But, I think with the bad clutch, the big ol' dents in my door and rear quarter panel from a very recent accident, and now feeling like it could be broken into at any moment unless I spend even more money, this may be the last straw. I never even managed to get it's last emissions test in order to get the title in my name, due to all the parts failing back-to-back and my exhaust being cut.

I'm going to get my hands on another Explorer or a Navajo. Then, all the good parts get exchanged, except the engine, unfortunately. After that, I really don't know. I'm open to suggestions. I don't think it's worth much as it is. $500 seems high, even without a slipping clutch. Since I never got the title changed over.

I'm slightly just venting.

Thanks to everyone who helped... and read my long posts. Heh.

Back