clutch problems | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

clutch problems

Derrick C.

Moderator Drinkin Corona
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Twin Falls, Idaho---------B.F.E.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 92 XL
My slave cylinder is going to crap and I have a cheap NAPA clutch in there now and I'm curious which one of the Center Force clutchs fit in a 92 XL 4x4? Any info would be good.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Dennis Myers

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery, IL 60538
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Sport
Center Force makes 2 clutches for the Explorer the 1 and the Dual Friction. I put the center force 1 in my truck it lasted about 40,000 miles but I have 33x12.5 tires and 4.56 gears, when it went out I put the Dual Friction in and at 30,000 miles it is still like new.

<

leggo

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
my knee hurts

How much did u pay for your force 2? My clutch is hard topush in as it is, did your pedal get even harder to push?

<

Anime

EF YEAH!!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EX Sport Concept
heh

I replaced my entire master cyl and the clutch was super difficult to push..its bearable now but still 500% harder to push than it was before. I posted a thread on this but noone replied...

Some advice for you guys/gals replacing your clutches on the 91-94s..the stock master cyl pushrod thingy is PLASTIC..it has a tiny metal reinforcement stick in it but its not always straight through...I found the spot in mine where it was just plastic :) The foctory replacement master cyl from Ford is a better design with a different hose location, and a fully metal pushrod.

<

leggo

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
Thanks alot for the info.I guess i was hoping that somebody would give me a cure for my stiff clutch. Oh well, i guess i will have to just deal with it.

<

R

rock883

Really what is the deal with that? My clutch is hard to push in too. And my clutch is going bad again in a little over a year, and I don't really peel out or anyhitng, just sometimes, but I get it at about 1500 RPMs when I am going, slowly let the clutch go, I go to 1500 cause I hate it when the explorer dips down when I don't give it enough gas. The one I bought from Goodyear cost me $350, what a ripoff. Especially when I can get a dual friction from centerforce for less than that. I hate those places that charge you an arm and a leg for regualr parts.

<

leggo

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
Yes, I know what you mean about the front end dipping. O.K. I admit it.....Yesterday I stalled it at the light, but it was one of those, you know, when all 6 cylinders of the engine are magically on the compression stroke!!! and it feels like you just hit a brick wall. I couldnt help but notice the guy in the car next to me chuckling. I guess its just my trucks way of showing me i'm not as cool as I think I am. AAAARRRGGHHH!!

<