clutch question

f250bb6

Reaction score
City, State
oswego ,sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xl 4x4
ok so i have a 98 ranger,3.0 5spd.
slave cylinder started leaking so i had no clutch. while i was in there i replaced the clutch assembly, resurfaced flywheel , installed slave cylinder and a new master cylinder. all parts are brand new from ford. the only thing i didnt replace was the line going to the slave from the M/C. the problem is i cant seem to get a petal without pumping the clutch petal up. i have bleed this by gravity , then pump it up and release,used a vacuum pump to draw fluid into a container and even put a small amount of air pressure on the reservoir with my leak down tester. nothing seems to work and i have bleed out over a quart of fluid ,even to the point when i see no more bubbles in the container and it still wont get more than a half a petal.i have tried to bleed M/C before putting on.if i couldnt pump it up i would suspect maybe something wrong with the clutch machanical components . but it will pump up and allow you to shift it but if you let it sit just a few minutes it wont let you put it into gear unless you pump it again.
Does any one have a remedy for this?
a better bleeding procedure?
shims behind the slave cylinder?
shims behind flywheel?
thanks for anyone looking.
Ron

dkchrist

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4DR
The positioning of the master cylinders in the ranger/ex lead to an air bubble forming in the top part of the cylinder. The only way to get it out is to bench bleed it, or pop it out still connected if possible and tip it as you bleed it.

Good luck, I think I am in need of a new master.

P.S. search for clutch bleed or slave cylinder problems and you should come up with what you need

f250bb6

Reaction score
City, State
oswego ,sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xl 4x4
i did bench bleed it, but i didnt think about the angle at which it is mounted at . i think i'll mash the petal to the floor and try pressure bleeding it again and see if it will force the air bubble out.
thats what it sees like it is because the petal is soft for the first two inches of travel then it will start to push the slave about half way down.
Thanks for the heads up. Ron