• Register Today It's free!

clutch ran dry

lhindle

Reaction score
City, State
rutherglen, victoria,australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I have a 96 XLT 5 sp manual trans. Went to drive away and no clutch. Pedal depresses to the floor and returns under spring pressure but cannot change gears. Fluid has gone from resevoir tank. I put some hydraulic fluid in hoping it might self bleed overnight but no go. I know the slave cylinder is in the transmission case and probably not easy to get to. Any clues??????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the slave cylinder is bad, unfortunately there is no thing as self bleeding lol ( i was there and i wish there was too). How many miles are on the truck? You could probably try bleeding it but I'm doubtful of how well this will work considering all the fluid disapeared pointing to a leak somewhere.

Thanks Dynamiye 196. Looks its off to the garage for this truck. By the way, I have 195K on the clock but slave and clutch were replaced 2 years ago

Has the master ever been replaced? Could also be a broken line if you're lucky.

Master has never been replaced. No sign of any leaks except a small weep at front of trans case. Into garage tomorrow. Will let u know how we go.
Thanks Dynamite196

Back