Clutch replaced! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch replaced!

jhow1

Reaction score
City, State
north carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
So after reading every thread in here about dropping the exhaust crossover to pull the manual transmission I thought I would leave my experiences on here.
Yes it can be done without removing the crossover but it is not for the faint of heart.
I done this on a 2000 Sport 2wd on ramps with me laying on a piece of plywood so your mileage may vary.
You can use a transmission jack to get the bolts out and back in but you're going to have to ditch it and use the jack god gave you for the real work.
Once the bolts are out pull the tranny backwards as far as it will go and lower the rear all the way to the ground being careful not the bind and bend the input shaft.
I assume if the car had been closer to the ground this would not have worked because when it finally came out the gearbox was practically standing straight up.
But it did fall right out without having to bend or pry anything.
Getting it back in (by myself) took over an hour and I wound up using a 36" crowbar to persuade the transmission to get past the tunnel floor.

Looking back would I have tried to remove the exhaust? Absolutely not - exhaust bolts are pure evil.
That's my two cents for the next guy.

Back