clutch slave cylinder quick connect seal leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clutch slave cylinder quick connect seal leak

sbbloom69

Reaction score
City, State
Los Alamos, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT and a 93 XLT
HI,
I have a 93 XLT. I saw the July 2002 post about this same problem, but didn't get a good answer. I'm losing about a reservoir's worth of fluid every other day. I first thought it was the clutch master cylinder (happened on my old broncoII). But, I looked down at the tranny and there's fluid leaking from around the quick disconnect. I cleaned up the fluid mess and drove it around some more. I'm almost sure the leak is from the quick disconnect fitting where the hose plugs into the female part. I pulled the fitting by pushing in the little white ring to disengage the finger clips. I have what appears to be a standard round cross section o-ring on the hose end of the fitting. There's a flat rubber seal up inside the female end. I pulled the o-ring and went to 2 diffenent autoparts stores. None of the ones I bought quite matched what came off. I tried an o-ring that was just barely bigger than what came off. I couldn't get the fitting back together. The hose, with the original o-ring has a "sloppy" fit, ie the hose part of the fitting slightly wallows inside the female part. Should the male part of the fitting be sloppy inside the female part of the fitting or should it be fairly tight?

My real question is should the o-ring be the standard circular cross section, or should it be a square cross sectioned o-ring (like you would find in a water faucet valve)? I could see the square type making the fitting fit tighter, and maybe sealing better. I'm hoping I'll have a $5 solution instead of a $900 solution. I read previously that Ford doesn't sell the o-ring. Any idea how much the whole hose costs?

So, anyone know the real o-ring size? Should it be round or square cross section? Is my slave cylinder just worn out?

BTW, I can "wiggle" the slave cylinder by wiggling the female fitting and/or the bleed screw (not much, but noticeable). Should the slave cylinder be really tight or should it be a little loose?

Sorry for the long post, but I either have to budget for $5 or $900 for a new slave and clutch (172k on original clutch).

Stu

Back