• Register Today It's free!

Clutch slave cylinder

mp40

Reaction score
City, State
Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport 4.0 ohv
I have an interesting problem with my clutches slave cylinder assy. I have been trying to remove the pressure line from the slave cylinder in order to replace the transmission. However, the line "quick release mechanism" isn't releasing. I have pushed the white nylon ring in repeatedly and pulled on the hose/assy mightily. however, it will not release. I am under the impression that one of the spring fingers is damaged and therefore, it will not release the hose/assy.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to release this assy so that i don't have to resort to cutting the hose/buying a new assy? I have a new slave cylinder assy so it doesn't matter if the old one bites it..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've only had to do it twice, but both times, I found the white ring needs to be driven in further than you think is necessary.

Both times, I used just a small flatblade screwdriver.

The white ring needs to be pushed in so far that it's no longer visible.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Hmm, i did shove in the ring in so much that it was barely visible. But, perhaps it wasn't far enough to release it. When i get back to work on it this Monday, i will force in the ring and see if it will release it. I will try a really small flat blade as you say and force it in further. I hope that i can get this off of the slave without damaging it as i don't want to buy another hose etc. It's really hard to get at that stupid quick release assy! I should have had that transmission replaced already!

An update on the non-releasing "quick disconnect" issue: I tried and tried to push in the white nylon ring in as far into the disconnect as possible. But, i just couldn't get it to release..Until, i pushed in the clutch petal. It shot out the quick disconnect from the slave cylinder assy and didn't destroy anything either!

Anyways, thanks to all who had replied to this (now "old") post!

Nice trick, I hadn't heard of doing that before!

Thanks for updating us. :thumbsup:

Back