• Register Today It's free!

Clutch Switch Questions

mr1mrwun

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 4dr XLT 4x4 5-speed
After searching, research, and google, I've still have a an issue with my clutch switch. Since, at this point, the clutch switch is part of my no start problem with my current on going project (look in my sig).

This is for a 91 XLT w/M5OD......
Since I haven't found a "complete" diagram/layout for the clutch switch itself, here's what I've collaborated through my research in recent days on my own and wood1's help.:thumbsup:

Hoping this can/could be used for future reference.
This is the state of the switch while the clutch is NOT pressed in.
clutchswitch.png

Once again this is for a 91!!!! The COLORS might not match what you see in your SM. Trust me they didn't exactly match for me and I've got a handful of SMs "FOR" the 91!!!

---------------------------------
ON TO THE QUESTIONS:

This is the current state of my clutch switch:
cd63aa0c.jpg

FIRST QUESTION:
Is it possible to tell or how do you tell if the internal slider inside the switch is bad or not catching the master's rod?????
Or is it simply installation error????

I've tested the switch several times off of the master cylinder's rod. Both open and closed with my DMM for continuity, and it works.......off the rod. Put it back in........hook it up.......push in the clutch pedal.......turn the key........NOTHING!!!!

SECOND QUESTION:
Where I have the ty-wrap, there is supposed to be a clip that goes onto the end of the master cylinder before the rubber boot to hold the switch in place. Does anyone know what the part number/name is for that clip?????
A replacement didn't come with the master cylinder, would or should one come with a new clutch switch?????

BTW I'm not looking for any quick replies today cuz of the SUPER BOWL!!!!!!

:chug:

Anybody got any suggestions or should I just go and buy a new clutch switch?????

Would like to know more about the clip more than the switch.

Anybody??????????

Back