• Register Today It's free!

Clutch Wear

gunthore

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Sport
I've got a lifted, geared & mildly modded 92 Explorer Sport, looks great but it's a clutch Monster! I've tried stock clutches, aftermartket clutches, ect. Longest lasting clutch was a Center Force Series 1, still gave out in an unacceptable length of time. Has anyone experienced this condition and found a clutch that can stand the test of time yet still perform?

How long are you getting out of your clutches?
I still have the one that came with my truck, but I don`t know the history on it. I`ve only had mine for a year and a half or so.

I thought of upgrading when it finally goes, so I`m interested in your thread.

-tks

Clutch wear can be effected by many things:
1) Condition of flywheel: was it resurfaced when the clutch was replaced last? Has it warped? It's just like a brake rotor.
2) Condition of hydrualics, could the clutch be sliping or not disengaging?
3) Throw out bearing: again, not engaging or disengaging.
4) How do you drive?

I got 17,000 miles out of the last clutch which was a Center Force 1. It was installed with a fresh pressure plate, throw out bearings, ect. and was proffessionaly installed. As for driving, I wind the truck out but rarely downshift hard and never pop the clutch. I'm hoping someone has some successful feedback with a different brands of clutch as my current clutch, a Beck and Harney with 4500 miles on it is already starting to chatter.

Back