• Register Today It's free!

Clutch

Noved1987

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
My clutch petal got really soft suddenly the other day. I checked the resivor on the firewall and it was empty. I filled it to the proper level. I have tryed to get the clutch to slip doing a fast start and it was still solid. Do I need to bleed the clutch? could air have goten into the system. Also the fluid has not been changed in the last 2 years (about 50-60K). Should i replace the fluid or just do a quick bleeding? also some times for about the last 6 months the clutch has not fully disengaged. When I stop at a light with the clutch petal all the way down if I let off the break it will crawl like an automatic would. This is about 2-5 times a week depending how much i drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Usually if you have air in the system, the pedal will return up properly after you push it in and take you foot off of it. Is that the problem you are having?

It returns all the way but the petal is soft farther down (as you push) than it used to be. For example if it had 1" of play in it before it now has 2-3" of play. the clutch is still working as it used to but this worrys me as it is our only vehicle. the crawling like an automatic is still hapening as well as sometimes being hard to get into gear. i dont know if these problems are related or not

sure sounds like air in the system.. I would flush and bleed first, then if its still a problem, there may be other issues with the clutch (slave cylinder comes to mind).

I figured i had air in the system but where did the fluid go? I have an oil leak so i cant tell if the slave is leaking or not(no noticable leaks anywhere else). Is there a trick to figure it out?

i just had the same problem.

you need to take out the tranny and replace the slave cylinder. it's leaking into the transmission. the system doesnt have that much fluid running around in it, so it wont leak that dramatically. but the inside of the transmission will be wet.

another thing would be to see if the firewall is wet around the master cylinder, or see if there is a leak in the pipe from the master leading down to the slave.
easiest way to check both is to fill up the reservoir and have someone pump the clutch pedal while you look at the firewall and under the truck.

if there isnt a leak in either location, it will most likely be your slave cylinder.

Ok while driving today it went back to nornal. I went to a shop for an inspection yesterday and they sait "we see no sign of leakage). I leak oil and the tranny is covered in it but i dont see any break fluid from the clutch system.

Incognito892 is correct. (in my opinion)

With the help of many contributors to this forum concerning clutch problems I found out my slave was also bad. However, mine hadn`t leaked at all. After I read numerous posts I started noticing a grinding noise coming from where the clutch slave stays. Sometimes my trans. shifted fine and other times it didn`t I think it is due to the slave having plastic parts in it. With all steel like the old-timey ones were, it would have degenerated but not gotten better at times like mine and yours have done.
My pickup is so quiet inside it was hard to hear except occasionally. I changed the slave and presto! No more clutch problems. Trans shifts perfectly. I had trouble bleeding the hydraulic system and there are several threads with different ways to do that here. I finally got the clutch to disengage the transmission with only about 1" at the bottom of the pedal travel and called it good for a few weeks. Then a few days ago I went back an bled the hydraulic circuit again and now it works like it did before all this stuff happened.

I will say that on many recommendations I changed my clutch out and discovered when I bought the new one home there wasn`t enough wear on the old to tell the difference between the two. I depends on how you use your pickup. I just go to work and come home. Anyway. Incognito892`s advice is good advice. Take it.

Plain

Thanks everyone

I have found a local mechanic that will replace the slave for a rolling toolbox i dont really need. I got it from cleaning out a rental house and the people had left it behind. 6 month 6k mile written warrenty on labor as i will have to buy the part myself.

Since you have to pull the trans, you should consider putting a rear engine seal in. That may be the cause of your oil leak. Either way, it's a cheap fix since the trans is out.

Back