• Register Today It's free!

Clutch

trush1492

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisonburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I actually read someones statement on here that the further out the clutch catches, the newer the clutch is. This can not be correct, right? My clutch catches once the pedal is almost all the way out which is causing issues with slipping on hills. The PO stated that he put a new transmission in it. Why would he not put a new clutch in at the same time?? Is there anything else that could cause this?

Thanks,

Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ive never seen it with a hydraulic clutch unless the clutch is on the way out.

I recently had basically the same issue and stopped by three Transmission shops with all of them saying my clutch was blown.. Well after about 10 minutes of me and my buddy talking about it, i went out and got a clutch kit from AutoZone and went to work.. After I dropped the tranny, i was looking at the Slave Cylinder and it was shot... So i cant say if it was the clutch (50%+/-) or the slave or even both but it works like a charm now.

Try bleeding the system. You could just have low pressure in the master or slave.

Thanks for this brand. I'm canvassing parts for my 2011 repairs and very timely too. Will check autozone to see if what I can get.

NUFX- if they ship to you, go to RockAuto.com they will have much better parts and prices than Autozone. Plus they are a forum sponsor and offer discounts as well. I noticed you're going to get new weatherstripping- I ordered some from RockAuto and it was excellent... RockAuto also offers a discount for forum members.

Yeah, i wasn't trying to advertise Autozone at all.. just stating where i got mine cause i didnt want to wait for shipping.. Wish i had known about RockAuto though.. would have really looked into them.. Anyways, the clutch is pretty easy to install in these things.. took me about 10 total hours not knowing a thing i was doing. Hardest part was taking off the exhaust.

Joe Dirt--Good looking out on the parts discount, I need to save every penny I can (like everyone else)

My X has high(er) pedal release than I was used to in my old ranger, and that clutch was chattering pretty bad, just never replaced it.

On my X.... can you bleed the system or would that change the release point at all?

2nd question is it common on the 5 speeds to be a little noisy? 5th gear in particular is a little noisier than I am used to.....by noisy I mean I hear the gears rotating inside the trans.

Yeah, i wasn't trying to advertise Autozone at all.. just stating where i got mine cause i didnt want to wait for shipping.. Wish i had known about RockAuto though.. would have really looked into them.. Anyways, the clutch is pretty easy to install in these things.. took me about 10 total hours not knowing a thing i was doing. Hardest part was taking off the exhaust.

I dont think im going to be able to take my exhaust off. The bolts wont budge even with an impact wrench.

You could always try taking it to an exhaust shop?

You could always try taking it to an exhaust shop?

Just got it back from the exhaust shop. $317 to have a dual in, dual out cat put in. The previous owner ran true duals on it with no cats. Thats a no go in Virginia!

If it has duels then i don't think you should really have to take the exhaust out.. Should be able to just drop the tranny since you don't have the Y pipe under it..

If it has duels then i don't think you should really have to take the exhaust out.. Should be able to just drop the tranny since you don't have the Y pipe under it..

they cut and tied into the y pipe, hopefully i wont have to pull it. Still havent had a chance to crawl under it and check things out yet. Im gonna try bleeding it for sh*ts and giggles, worth a shot.

Back