clutches normal wear out part on AWD mounty? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clutches normal wear out part on AWD mounty?

drew76924

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 mountaineer
its got 230,000 on it and when its on jack stands all 4 wheels will turn but on the ground its only getting rear... i'm assuming its the clutches in the transfercase are worn out. is this a common issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's got a viscous clutch in the transfer case. There is a write up on here how to change it out without taking the case out. You can access the rear cover while under the vehicle and pull it off and replace it. Haven't done it, but sounds like it's only a couple hour job.

i would drain the case first it will show you if there are fragments or filings which would show you if there was anything wrong..

I am having the same problem, but on the ground i can't get reverse to work at all. can only get it into 1,2,3 and once i get to about 45+ i can put it into D and the O/D light will start flashing but it will drive. I am getting codes p1700 and p0745, go to autozone and check your codes, even without a CEL you will get tranny codes.

Found a couple of cheap rebuild/replace solutions in my area that Ford Techs are doing sidework.

I am having the same problem, but on the ground i can't get reverse to work at all. can only get it into 1,2,3 and once i get to about 45+ i can put it into D and the O/D light will start flashing but it will drive. I am getting codes p1700 and p0745, go to autozone and check your codes, even without a CEL you will get tranny codes.

Found a couple of cheap rebuild/replace solutions in my area that Ford Techs are doing sidework.

i do have a separate transmission issue but the trans problems has nothing to do with the transfer case problems. they are 2 totally different issues.

anyone have the link for the viscous clutch replacement write up?

you guys think its worth messing with putting in new clutches or would it be better to just throw a new transfer case in there? i found some on craigslist in my area for around 125$-150$

what's the cost of doing clutches in comparison? downside is that you don't know how well the "used" cases will work or how long until they have a problem . however, if its a huge difference it would be worth the risk IMO.

drain the damn thing before somebody talks you into doing what he wants for his rig,,

it will save you both time and money,
don't throw money at it, throw smarts,, go about it systematically,, figure out what is wrong first,,

i agree with draining it to make sure there is definitely signs of failure. I don't want him to do anything to his vehicle that i want to do to my vehicle. just trying to help him figure out what is obviously the cheapest solution to what he believes the problem to be.

if it turns out the coupler is bad it's an easy fix,,

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374979&highlight=viscous+coupler

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225515

coupler is on the right,, the round dealio,,
P1000535.jpg

Back