cobra cam explorer 5.0L anyone tried it ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cobra cam explorer 5.0L anyone tried it ?

soon2b351

Reaction score
City, State
whoopa$$ michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 expedition 2 door
i wanna hear the good the bad and the ugly,

heres my plan, now tell me why i shouldnt do it.

im using a ranger body with 96 explorer electronics, 373 gears, 4R70W trans. 1.7 roller rockers, stock explorer exhaust manifolds (at least im using the cast iron ones) im on the fence, i have read that the explorer ecm tolerates the H.O. cam im assuming it still would with the 1.7 roller rockers, is there any good reason not to use a 93-95 cobra cam rather than the H.O. cam ? im just trying to build a decent truck thats fun to drive. not interested in being the fastest thing on the road, no racing

i dont have a cobra cam, but just your run of the mill stock 87-93 5L mustang cam. i cant do a comparison because i did the cam swap when i did the 5L swap. it does have some good pull after 3,000 rpm, but nothing neck breaking.

The Cobra cam was designed to gain back a little of the low RPM torque lost by the higher cfm flowing heads and intake used on the Cobra. Seems like a good cam to try.

probably should mention, i will be using the GT40P heads, i just dont know how much (if any) trouble the cobra cam would give the explorer ecm, or cause any driveability/idle issues, cant find anything on the net in reference to a cobra cam swapped into a bascially stock explorer

Back