Cobra-R rims on Explorer

n2knee

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 EB
To: All Explorer Aficionados

I would like to know how many of you guys have installed the Cobra-R rims on their Explorers. I own a '98 EB and have plans in upgrading my stock rims and tires (16") to the Cobra-R rims (17x9) and Pirelli Scorpion Zero (275-55-17) to make it wider. I recently contacted Explorer Express and I was about to accept their deal when, a day prior to going to their shop, I talked to a local tires and rims retailer. He said that if I had to upgrade my rims from 16" to 17", I need to re-program (re-calibrate?) my ABS chips to properly work with the bigger rims. How true is this? I was also told that the tire size (275-55-17) may look big and it may not fit the front sides. Any advise, suggestions, and comments are very much welcome.

PS
My Explorer is a V8 and two-wheel drive. I saw an Explorer (custom painted) and sporting a painted Cobra-R rims. It looks nice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I am not sure about the recalibrating the abs, but I am doing the same as you with my 99 sport. I am currently saving up for them. There is alot of better places you can get the rims cheaper then explorer express. The cheapest I have found is http://www.gefracing.com They can make you a good deal on any wheels and tires. Its the best I have found. Just thought I would let you know. Keep us posted as to what you find out about the abs.
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered 2 inches,
Eldebrock shocks,
Sony Mobile Es head unit,
Sony 1/2 din Equalizer,
10 disc ES cd changer,
6 disc MD changer,

JornumI, I was told that changing the rims from 16" to 17" will not affect the abs nor the speedometer as long as you put the proper tire size. I have contacted a lot of tire retailers in my area and their recommended size is 275/55/17. ExplorerExpress had also performed tests on different tire sizes and the techs were most satisfied with the Pirelli Scorpions (275/55/17). If you have a four-wheel drive, you may need a 3/8 in. spacer when installing the Cobra-R rims.
My goal is to have these rims installed within the next two weeks.

n2knee:

Since you live in the city, it would be worth the drive to Explorer Express in Richmond to check out their demo Explorer with the 17 x 9s and the 275/55 Pirellis. They stick out a bit in the front. They've got a couple of other Explorers with different wheels, so you can maybe get some other ideas.

Explorer Express is a little high priced on some things, but they're just retail on most. I've got a buddy who's a parts manager at one of the largest Ford dealerships in Sacramento, and he says dealer cost on the 17 x 9s is right around $200 each, so I don't understand how anyone can sell the "real" Cobra Rs for $699/set.

Lastly, your ABS will work just fine with the larger diameter wheels.

Pete

------------------
'96 XLT 2wd V8
K&N, drilled airbox
Flowmaster 50 series w/ 3" pipe
Explorer Express 1 1/2" lowering kit
Edelbrock IAS
Michelin 235/70 X-One

So to fit the Cobra Rs on the front of a 4x4 exporer you need the spacers? Will these make the truck look bad? Will it effect handling in any way? What to these cost? Just wondering, because I am planning to buy mine soon, and just want to know the fact.
Thanks,
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered 2 inches,
Eldebrock shocks,
Sony Mobile Es head unit,
Sony 1/2 din Equalizer,
10 disc ES cd changer,
6 disc MD changer,

Jason, the cost of the spacers is $79.95 per set quoted by Explorer Express. You may not need the spacers if you have a two-wheel drive V6, per Explorer Express' tech. As far as the appearance I had the chance to ride the Explorer Express' XLT demo vehicle and it looks nice. And fast, too. Their demo vehicle had all the suspension upgrades, (sway bars, lowering kits, etc.). Comparing my truck's ride quality against their demo vehicle, I can say the demo vehicle rides more like a lowered Mustang and not bouncy as the stock Explorers.

im interested in lowering my explorer. i am wondering if the explorer "X handling package" lowers the truck any?
also, its says the cobra wheels wont work with 4x4. (only fits AWD and 2WD) is there any way they can?
91 EB 4x4

MTXplorer

You will need spacers since you mentioned that you have a 4X4. As far as appearance it does, in my own opinion, makes your ride look better with the spacers. 2" is the most (I think) you could do to lower your Explorer. Unless you really want to drop it (ala low rider), then you would have to cut your springs.

no, i dont want a low rider, just better handling that a couple inches will give. i want just 2 inches. how do i go about this? i was told i could get eibach springs for this. what kind of shocks do i get to complement the springs and lowering blocks for the leaf springs? most important... where do i buy them?
thanks

Does anyone know if those Cobra rims have sufficient load rating per wheel since Explorers are heavier than Mustangs? Also, is it safe to assume that since the Cobra rims fit so well on Explorers...just about any aftermarket rim (with the proper load rating) for the Mustang will fit as well?

KSolo:
Since the rims were originally designed for the Mustang Cobra-R, I highly doubt that you can use those rims for off-roading and serious off-roading.

MTXplorer-
I purchased my lowering kit through ExplorerExpress (explorerexpress.com). I changed my stock shocks with Edelbrock. It is not as bouncy compared to the stock shocks and my cornering has improved.

I have the Cobra R rims on my 1991 explorer, mounted with Mickey Thompson 31x11.50x17 baja belted radials on stock suspension. It looks pretty sharp. However, since mine is a four wheel drive, and one of the older explorers, I was forced to use 1 1/2 inch adapters on each wheel to have them mounted in the appropriate space. These have caused me some problems, due to the fact that there are now ten lugs for each wheel, basically doubled up. I have had problems with the inner lugs loosening, and since they are hidden once the wheel is mounted, they are difficult to check. One of the wheels came off on me in this fashion, which tore up my brakes on the rear drivers side. This, and my girlfriends constant pleading (she owns a 96 mustang) have brought me to the descision to let her have the wheels for her car, and I will get something else, something that does not require the adapters to make up for the backspacing differences between a 4x4 and a sportscar. In general though, I would not recommend 17 inch wheels for off roading, they are too prominent and easy to damage. I marred one pretty badly on some nasty rocks.

By the way, I got them from Tommie Vaughn Ford here in Houston, for $169 a piece. They have a site at www.tvfonline.com

Randall Dorn
Mudd*****@aol.com

Mudd*****,
I would love to see any pics of your truck that you have with the Cobra-R rims and the Baja Belts. Also, I mailed the grille out today.

------------------
Ryan Kelso
93 Explorer Sport 4x4
K&N Drop In
ProComp Pro Runner Light Bar
Stull Billet Grille
Hella 500's
Blue Opta Fogs
GTS Blackouts all around
Kenwood and Kicker Stereo

cowboyz1659@hotmail.com

I'll go take some pics of it, and when I get them developed, I'll get them scanned in for you, and put them somewhere on my site. I'll let you know when that happens.

Randall Dorn
Mudd*****@aol.com

The 17"'s will work just fine. I race my '96 blown 347 all of the time and have never incurred any breaking problems what so ever.

I just recently put up the pieces of my web page. I have included pictures of my Explorer sporting the Cobra-R rims.

here is the link: Dead Link Removed

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Lookin good!! I really like the look of the Cobra rims on the Eddie Bauer. Now if I just had the cash...

Pacman

i just had my Cobra r rims and Pirelli tires installed on my 2001 Explorer Sport Trac. Man does it look good. I dont know what they are talking about when they say you will have to recalibrate? I didnt have to do anything and all is very well. i will have some pics up soon. Waiting on drop (Explorer Express) to get installed w/ new shocks. Your trucks look very nice, keep it up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brian, I never had to recalibrate my ABS. I was told by some tire shops that I may need to recalibrate my ABS. I had asked Explorer Express and they said it was not necessary.

Back