• Register Today It's free!

Code 0153 97 explorer

pensacolaexplore

Reaction score
City, State
pensacola, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
Check engine light came on. Autozone checked Code. Only one, 0153. Their report said:
1. defective O2 sensor, Bank 2 sensor 1, or
2. Fuel system running very rich or lean (check other codes first), or
3. Engine misfire, or
4. Fuel pressure very high or low - fuel pump or regulator

No other codes so eliminated #2. Engine running fine so eliminated #3. So that leaves #1 and #4. How can I tell if I have a fuel pump, regulator problem, or need to replace the O2 sensor? By the way check engine light is off now. I appreciate any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My experience has been that replacing the O2 sensor solves that type of code. Did AutoZone clear the code or did it go off by itself? If by itself, likely that the O2 sensor is getting marginal and hasn't failed completely. You can either change it out now, or wait until it turns the light on again - could be days, weeks or even months. Good luck.

Thanks Bobflood. The check engine light went out on its own. It came on, then after a few stops, a few hours and about 150 miles it went off. It's been off now for three days. What am I risking if I don't replace it now? Could it cause the engine to stop running unexpectedly?

Thanks Bobflood. The check engine light went out on its own. It came on, then after a few stops, a few hours and about 150 miles it went off. It's been off now for three days. What am I risking if I don't replace it now? Could it cause the engine to stop running unexpectedly?

poor fuel economy and a ruined catalytic converter (worst case scenario).

I agree with Bob & Koda, change it out, with the price of fuel nowadays, it will pay for itself rather quickly.

Replaced the sensor. Not easy to get to the plug, but with a little help was able to reach it. Thanks for your help.

Back