• Register Today It's free!

Code 214

mxz583

Reaction score
City, State
mt.prospect, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited
i was told that code 214 is a problem with the camshaft position sensor or is it the crankshaft position sensor i have cleared the codes and 214 and 566 come right back it starts up and runs fine

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CM214 can refer to either crankshaft or camshaft position sensor, depending on wbhich your engine has. It can also refer to a problem in the ignition module, or bad wiring between any the CKP/CMP and the ICM and the PCM. Much of the time, a CM214 is associated with a no start, in that the computer doesn't ever get the CID signal, and so it doesn't fire the spark plugs. The fact that the engine runs suggests to me that the fault in the CID circuit is intermittent. Meaning that the computer is getting the signal enough of the time for the engine to run, but losing the signal occasionally, causing the code to be set. If it is intermittent like that, it could be pretty tricky to track down.

MrShorty
it seems to me i have both there is a camshaft sensor and a crankshaft sensor so how can two sensors have the same code??

you do have both i had my cam shaft and crank shaft replaced the difference is about 300 dollars between them.

one of the symptoms that i had when driving around with the check engine light was hesitation at accleration and it turned out to be the crank shaft position sensor. which was the hardest one to fix. the cam shaft can be replaced easily. i would try to replace the cam shaft first then if that dosent work look into the crank shaft sensor good luck

Cam and Crank Position Sensors

I think you have that backwards. The crank position sensor is easy to find the cam position sensor about impossible. I have the CD shop book and a paper EVTM and still have no idea what the thing looks like.

I don't know if the cam position sensor can even be replaced with the engine in the car!

DJ94

Is there any further information on code 214? My '94 recently has only code 214, cleared twice, came back each time. Engine runs fine all the time.

Back