Code 628. Solid tranny

GingeRed11

Make Explorers Great Again!
Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer EB 4x4
ive had this code since I put this $400 transmission in back in March . Shifts fine. Solid tranny. Unknown miles though. Goes away and comes back. Usually when I take the freeway it doesn’t happen. Taking the back roads it happens about twice (I usually stop and clear it because I drive about 40 or so mins back home) if anybody has any input that would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had some success on the early models of the 95-96 versions by enlarging this feed hole. Requires dropping the VB and removing the separator plate. New gaskets will probably be needed along with saving your original fluid. Just add enough new fluid to get it up to level. I don’t worry about flow as much as just enlarging the hole to .062-.085. Good luck.
C52DCAB0-9089-4F8D-B174-671398F5B5CD.png

This will work? Regardless I may as well try it. What should I use to make the hole bigger?

Also what is this book you have?

The manual is from a seminar book by ATRA. From 2000 I believe. You can buy decimal size drill bits at many places on line. It would be worth a try,but very well could be several other areas of the lockup system being worn. I would be tempted to just drive it before starting to spend money on a 400 dollar transmission. You start opening yourself up to starting a money pit. If you still have the original transmission from the vehicle and the ability to overhaul it in my opinion would be a better use of resources. Your results may differ. Good luck.

I still have the others transmission. Can I replace the whatever the feed hole plate with the one on the old one? Do you think it could also be gunk the in the fluid since this transmission was just sitting in a parts yard

The separator plate from the original transmission will have the same size orifice. To be honest I would leave it alone and run it. You will be opening up a can of worms digging into the $400 transmission. Just my opinion.

I feel you, what else can I check that could be tripping the sensor

Well today. I bought a bottle of Lucas transmission fix and leak sealer. My transmission fluid dipstick was always all the way up the dipstick. Now I drained off about 2.5 quarts and added 24 oz of the Lucas. The level is perfect! Hopefully it won’t come back. I’ll see when I drive. Do you think the overfilled fluid could’ve caused the code 628?

Back