• Register Today It's free!

Code 646 error on 95 Ex.

Texan01

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Ok yall, time to pick the collective brain again.

Twice now, my '95 Explorer in the last 4,000 miles (304,000 miles overall, 75,000 on the trans) has tossed a flashing OD light and both times has been code 646. It's been serviced yearly since 225,000 miles when the trans was overhauled. I've replaced the EPC solenoid last year but the electronic elements in the trans are factory Ford except the EPC solenoid.

It goes through the gears like it always does, even with the seemingly random 2-3 shift flare that comes and goes and never is really repeatable. It does on occasion slip in first after putting it park or reverse, slipping it into 2nd or 1st and back to D fixes it.

I'm figuring it's a flaky sensor as it will do it after its been cruising at highway speeds for extended times. Saturday it did it on a 200 mile road trip, the week before I put 600 miles on it on another road trip and it performed flawlessly, even got its usual 22mpg.

Gas mileage hasn't changed, and since its my DD I track its economy. It still nails 17mpg in town and 22 on the road. The first time it did it in June it still got 24mpg all over Colorado and back to Dallas.

It does not feel like its slipping.

Will do next chance I get. Probably wednesday before I can get to it. I can let it sit till then - gives me a chance to drive my '77 Chevelle and check out the results of my tune-up efforts on it.

I do need to crawl under the Explorer anyway and replace the engine oil pan gasket. I might as well do a service on the transmission since its about due while I'm there.

Back