Code help / P1131 O2 sensor | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Code help / P1131 O2 sensor

MONMIX said:
for those of you following / helping look at this

http://www.pro-flow.com/tech info/troubleshoot.htm

Second one down.
It is from the Pro-M web site.
I really can't make heads or tails of what they are trying to tell me.

The codes they are talking about are EEC-IV codes; your codes are EEC-V (OBD-2). Code 41 is the code for always lean, code 42 always rich, code 91 is lean for the left O2 sensor.

Their troubleshooting hints assume that the sensor is the problem; this is not likely in your case because you already replaced the sensor and the same code reappeared.

They also seem to believe that some O2 sensors can break from thermal shock if the temp ramp rate is too high. It seems to me that this is probably true only under extreme conditions (racing) but I doubt this is the case for most vehicles; if the sensors failed frequently due to thermal shock, it would be a real problem for the OEMs (Ford) cause they would be replacing them constantly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

gotcha'
So it seems that the problem I am having is standard for them, but their soluition has not done the trick. :(

125 miles in all stock, no return codes. So, DogFriend, if you were to guess,
MAS or Apten ?

I would reinstall the chip with the stock MAF and see what happens.

Good luck....

Did you contact Gene at Apten?

So, DogFriend, if you were to guess,
MAS or Apten ?

Need additional data ;)

Logically, if the MAS was the problem, it should affect both banks equally, so you should get codes for both sides. It would be nice to have data from a scan tool so that you can see how both O2 sensors are switching.

If the Apten chip was the problem, it seems like you would probably have additional, unrelated codes as well, but I'm really guessing at this point.

I think you are going to need to rule out the MAS and the chip by installing them separately if possible.

One other thought is that the aftermarket air intake and/or MAS has a leak somewhere that is allowing unmetered air into the system. So by going back to the stock system you inadvertently fixed the leak? :p

Al, I did run with the chip with the stock MAS. Stock MAS in the MAC ran simple aweful. The chip thinks I have the large intake on there so it was dumping more fuel so I got a rich code on both banks.
Makes perfect sence. I have not yet contacted Apten, since it seems to me when I ran it with JUST the Apten every thing it did, made sence.

Dogfriend, I would give my left arm for a scan tool right now. I might just have to get off my tightwad a** and go to a shop and get the info.

As far as the inadvertant leak, it is unlikey, but any thing is possible.

I have been in contact with Pro-M.
Jim Gonzalas had been putting forth a good bit of effort to help me track the problem down. I am impressed with the level of support there.

I guess I can put the intake rig back in and run that with out the chip.
I did that for a week prior to the instal of the chip with out an issue.
Damn, maybe it is the chip then ?

maybe it is a gremlin ?

When you're dumping all this money into mods, there is no reason not to spend $130 at www.obd-2.com and get a scanner.

Spoke with Apten today.
I am sending the chip back to get it programed a bit more rich.
Brandon was very kind and helpful and seemed egar to nip this problem in the bud.

I have recieved tremendous customer service from both Apten and Pro-M
So in a few more weeks I will be back up to snuff and we can put this thread to sleep.

Good to hear you you're getting it worked out. I really want a chip now :p

It is like this Todd,
I went from no chip to having a chip, and loving it, now to be with out it, it is like,,,,,
I don't recall that thing ever feeling like a slug like it does now.
The differance is out standing.
I can not wait to get it back.

Here also is case in point as to why to go the extra few bucks and get the flasher like Aldive did. If I had Al's set up I could have tweeked the rich / lean my self.
*sigh* lesson learned.

Slug, LOL, don't ever drive an OHV then :p Can't use the flasher here. Thats the only thing that sucks about having a '95.

sorry if im bumpin in after you may have cleared up the problem. but i had the ame codes come up on mine two weeks ago. O2 sensor as well as both banks running lean. long story short, found out it was the DPFE sensor which has some sort of influence on the EGR valve, causing it to dump an unlimited amount of fuel into the engine. i too had cleared out all the faults and it kept coming back. sorry if i stepped on any toes, just read the top post and thought id share my experience.

No stepin' on toes here Pistol. That is JUST the input I need to hear.
It is some thing to look into should the problem return.

glad to have helped man..keep us posted

What was the final determination on the origin of this DCT?

I picked up the same code tonight.

aldive said:
What was the final determination on the origin of this DCT?

I picked up the same code tonight.

AL, you threw a code? pls keep us posted as to why :eek:

It was Apten related.
Yank the chip and poof !!!!!! no more code

Guess I have been lucky, never had a code.:)

I can get ya one :p

Back