Code P0141 on a 1997 Explorer with a V8. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Code P0141 on a 1997 Explorer with a V8.

explorerviking

Reaction score
City, State
Bakersfield, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL, V8
Hello,
explorer 97 v8
code 141, is that only the sensor or can it be other thing, can you check a sensor or do we just replace them.?
tks
ExplorerViking
;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check connections

P0141 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

I suspect the problem is with the electrical connection to the sensor instead of the sensor itself. According to my 1996 wiring diagram you have four O2 sensors. Bank 1 is the passenger side and sensor 2 is the aft (post cat) sensor. Check the sensor electrical connector. If there is no connector then your stock sensor was previously replaced with an aftermarket one and spliced in. The sensors are numbered 1 to 4 on the wiring diagram so I can't determine which one is suspect. The heater source for all of the sensors is the lt blu/orange wire that comes from fuse 24 in the interior fuse panel. The return wire to the PCM is possibly the white/black wire. Make sure that the wires are not frayed or burned and shorting out to the chassis or broken/loose preventing an electrical path.

2000 streetrod,
I replaced the o2 sensor in bank1 sensor2 in following to the code reader, but you are right it could be and electrical problem, I'll check. I have had the car from new and the last 2 times that I had a code 141 got solved with at clean the massflow sensor ( air intake ).
where do you check the o2 sensor without replacing them.? when I read bank1 sensor2 is that a connection place or ? I got from autozone some diagrams where that I can see all 4 o2 sensor in that loop. I fill stupid replacing good sensors, and I really would like if that I could solve the problem without going to a garage. thanks for all the support
ExplorerViking

confused

I'm rather confused by your comment.

Did you already replace the identified sensor and are now asking how to test it? If so, there is a website that discusses how to test them but I think a simple resistance test will confirm a heater problem. Heaters usually work fine or totally fail. I believe it's merely resistance wire located in the sensor.

The PCM monitors the current flowing thru it to ground for each sensor. If the current is outside the established limits then the PCM sets the diagnostic trouble code. I can't imagine any way that cleaning the MAF sensor could clear a sensor heater malfunction code. It might clear an oxygen level sensor related code however.

If you have already replaced the sensor then you must know where it is located. Did the replacement sensor have the large connector that plugged directly into the wiring or did you have to splice it in?

Back