Solved - CODE P0171-P0174. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved CODE P0171-P0174.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Josergiraud

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie bower 4.6
Got this code for my '07 4.6. By reading previous posts it could be the intake gasket. I also have a strong fuel smell on he cabin, but no fuel leaks whatsoever. Do a faulty gasket will produce the fuel smell? I like to research before changing parts that are not the solution. Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll let my mechanic know. I'm still replacing the intake gasket because the fuel smell.

I replaced so far the intake manifold gasket, fuel pump, MAF sensor, gasoline filter, fuel pressure sensor and now the truck hesitate to start, it cranks for like 4 seconds before turn over. Don't know what else to do. Sometimes gives me the code P0174, P0171

I replaced so far the intake manifold gasket, fuel pump, MAF sensor, gasoline filter, fuel pressure sensor and now the truck hesitate to start, it cranks for like 4 seconds before turn over. Don't know what else to do. Sometimes gives me the code P0174, P0171
Is it a slow crank?
How about when was the last time plugs where changed?

Has a mechanic looked it over? You're just throwing money at the problem. Get a good mechanic to look it over correctly and find out what's wrong with it before spending any more money.

I also replaced the battery, spark plugs and the rubber boots
By rubber boots, do you mean the coils?

Did you use the motorcraft coils?

By rubber boots, do you mean the coils?

Did you use the motorcraft coils?
Hi guys, this was the problem. For the delay at starting after 4-5 seconds cranking, was the fuel pressure sensor, it was bad and all the fuel wad leaving the system and of course, to start up again needed to build it up. I replaced about a year ago but I bough a cheap one in ebay. Lesson learned.
For the codes, the park plugs were messed up, my guess is it was a snow ball efect from the sensor. I also had a bad coil. The shop replaced the coil, the sensor, the plugs and the truck is running flawless.
I spent a lot of money chasing a rabbit when I should get a trap. As I mentioned, lesson learned.

Back