Premier

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 sport
so i have a check engine light code P0443, here is what the readout says:
the PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for the purge control valve in the evaporative emissions control system

some other things listed out on the ticket here:
definition
EVAP purge/vent solenoid circuit condition

explanation
the solenoids and system wiring are monitored for opens or shorts

probable causes
1- purge or vent solenoids defective
2- check connector and wiring
3- fuel saturated vapor canister
4- failed evap vent solenoid

they also said i had an o2 sensor out, but i dont remember which one..

so my question is, is it important to get this fixed asap? i mean the truck drives fine with no noticeable difference or loss in power.

and if i must fix it, where do i start? does my haynes manual tell me what to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

b to the izzump

Hey i got the same problem going on... had the scan at auto zone for free haha. Mine is running really shaky when its cold, and untill it warms up, its a huge power loss... i think I had this code going for a while now, and just recently it started running really rough. So, unless there is something else going on, it may get worse! I had a blinking check engine light this morning... it eventually stopped once it warmed up, and it ran smoother, got the power back then too. Check engine light stayed on solid still...

But... anyone know about replacing the thing? Im scared to go to ford for the part... its stupid emmisions part, im sure its going to cost... I was told to go there for the part, and that no one else would carry it? Thanks

yea, i dont know what to tell ya. when i decide to fix mine, i will post here again. but it runs fine for now

...For me, I found out it was a generic Evap code for my 95 Ranger which made it easy...Checked my hoses, replaced my solenoid purge valve and found out it was sticking, and then yes, my vapor cannister was the cause...:confused:

..Here are a few links that are worth a read and should help answer some questions...;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201047&highlight=P0443

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119025&highlight=P0443

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218248&highlight=P0443

I should have some time tomorrow to take a look at it. Ill get back, let you know what I went through... hope it helps ya out! Best of luck. Thanks for the links above!

well... i got to looking at that part today. I focused on the valve located below the battary harnes (driver side). Also should mention this is the 4.0 EFI (not SOHC). Checked the voltage going to the valve, and registered over 11 volts, so there is not a short. Measured the resistance of the valve it self, and found that it was infinaite! (should be reading 30-38 ohms) I suppose that means bad valve??

I called Ford, and it is a $70 part... kinda costly, and of coarse, not in stock. Going to talk to a couple more people, see what else i can figure out... ill get back on the results! anyone know where I could find this valve cheaper?? Thanks.

...You might contact Kbabiak on the bottom of the Forums page for a good used part...He too is in PA...You can usually get them at places like NAPA too..;)

ok... i am starting to go crazy on this thing... i think im going to order the (as ford calls it) Vapor Management Valve. According to the post in the first link, there should be a resistance across the valve of 30 to 38 ohms. Mine is reading infinate, so there must be a break in the circuit there.

So... what is the deal with the other "Vapor Canister" (again, as ford calls it). apparently this thing can go bad and cause the same error code?? I have not got to check this thing on my truck yet... maybe i will tomorrow. How could I check this thing anyways?

tbars4, what was your case? you replaced the valve first, then the canister? they both went bad on you? sorry for the bunch of questions... just really lost on all this emmisions garbage... thanks alot though!

...Your problem sounds exactly like mine did...Since the code is a Generic code, My best bet was the Solenoid purge valve...I did determine this after thoroughly inspecting each and every vacuum hose and all electrical wiring relating to the Evap System....

...After that I tested the SPV and figured it was stuck open after testing it like you did and I got a second opinion from a mechanic buddy...I replaced mine at the cost of about $75 new and still had the code...I also tested the new SPV to rule it and it's wiring out and it checked out ok...

...That only left the Evap cannister...This is A.K.A. the charcoal box...It has a life span of taking in fuel vapors until it can no longer absorb them...When this cannister is no longer good and the vehicle is left running that way for a while, it can also take out the SPV...I think mine cost $105 new..:dunno:

...Normally, if your problem is not an evap line nor an electrical connection, it is an elctronically controlled item that is bad and is throwing the code...The SPV is usually the problem and it doesn't hurt anything to have a new one installed...;)

Thanks alot for the quick reply! haha. The dealership I talked to had both parts around 60 bucks... I guess ill try the SPV, and hope that does the trick. Apparently, it IS bad, due to the resistance check... then move on to the canister if replacing the valve doesnt do the trick. Thanks again for your help!

...You are very welcome...:D

...Just be sure to come back to this thread and let us know how it worked out...;)

will do! Thanks again!

I had my P0443 code and today I went to scrap yard, got the purge valve and a bug deflector for $11 bucks

wow very nice. So that did the trick then? Was it alot of work to replace the valve?

haha I guess I didn't go into ANY detail there eh. I installed it and no check engine light at all now which is fantastic seeing I had random codes coming up lately. Anywho, take the battery out, take the three bolts out of the battery tray, unplug the 2 lines going to the rear canister(one is white, one is green), unplug the harness, unplug a small vacuum line in the bottom, undo the visible nut and then GENTLY pull it towards the engine, the piece should slide out of the rubber piece on the bottom so you dont have to undo the screw, then replace in the same order, except I put the vacuum line back in before I put it back in place.

I finally got rid of the code!! The truck is running strong on a cold start, and the check engine light is GONE! The work was really simple, thanks to the tips from treleaven.

But, its is still idling rough, almost sounds like there is random missing fires... kinda a sputtering sound... no backfires or anything crazy going on. I am clueless? Maybe it will be worth checking the vapor canister too... not sure, but i will take what i got now! haha. Thanks you guys for the tips!

so what was it on yours? electrical?

it was electrical... in a sence. The resistance reading across the valve was infinate, indicating a break in the circuit. But, had to replace the valve. So, more so, the valve was bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so on the OHV the canister purge valve is under the battery try?

for some reason i thought it was over the rear axle?

is the charcoal canister itself under the tray or over the axle?

Back