• Register Today It's free!

Code pulled.. Now what?

02LTDXLT

Reaction score
City, State
the "Bridge",Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 limited XLT
I have a 02 4.0V6 Exp. XLT 4x4 w/ 160,000 mi. I took it to the dealership because the o/d off light was blinking rapidly and i have a hard shift between 3&4 gear.

They pulled code p0796 and on invoice stated pcc tolerance problem checked that the solenoid was firing at the proper time but the monitoring system showing pcc circuit out of tolerance. there is a high resistance in the circuit.

The stealership said it could be the solenoid pack, pcm or a wiring problem and they would need another 2 hrs to pinpoint the problem. I told them I would think about it and left..

So what does this code and explanaton mean? what type of work am i going to have to do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is usually the solenoid pack but I have had a few over the years that werent fixed by the solenoid pack.

If it wasnt the solenoid pack what was the problem?

We always just sold the customer a reman tranny.

It means that if you don't know much about trannys (of the car kind), and have some diagnostic tools, you're screwed.

Sol pack is inside the transmission. Not super difficult. Much harder than an oil change, but easier than rebuilding the engine.

Wiring diagnostics on these vehicles are a pain in the ass. You can't just go at it with a 12v light anymore. Some of the software out today will let you monitor stuff in real time, so you can kinda see if the responses are in the ballpark.

You COULD buy a service DVD off ebay (HIGHLY recommend), then do a resistance check at the PCM connector, then another at the bulkhead connector on the trans. That MIGHT narrow it down.

Good luck

Back