• Register Today It's free!

code reader for 1995 Explorer

Larry_NM

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 4x4 EddieBauer Explo
I just purchased an INNOVA 3145 OBD I code reader that is specific for "Ford Lincoln Mercury Domestic vehicles 1981 to 1995". Much to my annoyance, however, the manual lists 1995 4.0L V6, 8th VIN digit 'X' Explorer, Ranger, Windstar as excluded. That is, this code reader will not read the 1995 Explorer. I called the INNOVA manufacturer and confirmed this. Does anyone have a reference for a code reader that will read codes for a 1995 Ford Explorer, 4x4 Eddie Bauer edition (if the last 2 items matter)? Can an OBDII reader be adapted to read engine codes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No obd2 reader could ever read obd1. You can either flash codes (there are lots of resources on this), or purchase a used snap on MT-2500, and that will give you data too. If you stick to older cartridges it could be very inexpensive.

Thanks 96eb96.

Now I'm mostly baffled. Based upon a response from elsewhere I went ahead and plugged in the INNOVA 3145 OBD1 into the EEC TEST ports of my 1995 Explorer as well as the Self Test Input pin. I've just done the "key on, engine off" set of testing and I did get some codes back. Maybe they say the unit won't work with a 1995 Explorer when the engine is on.

Thanks 96eb96.

It will do all of the tests required the manufactures rep is an idiot! Read the manual to find out what codes you got and the ask here or there what to do next.

Thanks 96eb96.

Now I'm mostly baffled. Based upon a response from elsewhere I went ahead and plugged in the INNOVA 3145 OBD1 into the EEC TEST ports of my 1995 Explorer as well as the Self Test Input pin. I've just done the "key on, engine off" set of testing and I did get some codes back. Maybe they say the unit won't work with a 1995 Explorer when the engine is on.
If it is OBD-1/EEC IV that unit should work. Some 94-95 Ford vehicles were OBD-II/EEC V but yours isn't one of them. Maybe they are wrong.

Thanks 96eb96 & D.R.

As you both indicate, as well as responses from other sites, the INNOVA 3145 will work with a 4.0L 1995 Explorer (OBD-1/EEC IV). I'm having to send it back for a replacement as the Self Test pin pushed into the unit when I connected the extension cable to it. Shabby construction.

The company might exclude 4.0L, 1995 Explorers, Rangers, and Windstars from their list of vehicles the unit works with because a liability lawyer told them to. :cool:

I just purchased an INNOVA 3145 OBD I code reader that is specific for "Ford Lincoln Mercury Domestic vehicles 1981 to 1995". Much to my annoyance, however, the manual lists 1995 4.0L V6, 8th VIN digit 'X' Explorer, Ranger, Windstar as excluded. That is, this code reader will not read the 1995 Explorer. I called the INNOVA manufacturer and confirmed this. Does anyone have a reference for a code reader that will read codes for a 1995 Ford Explorer, 4x4 Eddie Bauer edition (if the last 2 items matter)? Can an OBDII reader be adapted to read engine codes?
The 1995 Explorer has the eeciv module, and is obd1. The engine codes are read with the connector in the engine compartment, and the abs, air bag, and gem modules are read with the obd2 connector under the steering wheel. Any Ford obd1 or obd1/OBD2 scanner will read the 1995 engine codes. The 1996 Explorer has the eecv, and is OBD2. All system codes are read with the obd2 connector under the steering wheel.

Thanks for those details, Pinout. I was able to successfully read codes on the 95 Explorer with the OBD1 scanner, which was connected in the engine compartment. However, I've now moved on from the 95 Explorer to a 2002 Explorer so if anyone is looking for this OBD1 reader then contact me.

The 1995 Explorer has the eeciv module, and is obd1. The engine codes are read with the connector in the engine compartment, and the abs, air bag, and gem modules are read with the obd2 connector under the steering wheel. Any Ford obd1 or obd1/OBD2 scanner will read the 1995 engine codes. The 1996 Explorer has the eecv, and is OBD2. All system codes are read with the obd2 connector under the steering wheel.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

My Explorer falls in to somewhat gray area between OBD1 and OBD2. It's built in August 1995 but every VIN-code decoder tells me it's 1996 model. Is there any way to figure out which OBD it is before I go and buy a scanner?

There is only one scanner port, which is located under the steering wheel column. If I've got it right OBD1 vehicles have another one in the engine compartment. Does this mean my 1995 Explorer is actually 1996 and has OBD2?

My Explorer falls in to somewhat gray area between OBD1 and OBD2. It's built in August 1995 but every VIN-code decoder tells me it's 1996 model. Is there any way to figure out which OBD it is before I go and buy a scanner?

There is only one scanner port, which is located under the steering wheel column. If I've got it right OBD1 vehicles have another one in the engine compartment. Does this mean my 1995 Explorer is actually 1996 and has OBD2?
DO YOU HAVE THIS CONNECTOR PICTURED...IF SO YOU'RE STILL OBD1...IF NOT YOUR OBD2
LOCATION.jpg

TPL, See what Pinout said about the OBD2 port under the steering wheel. You'd need an OBD1 reader, which I conveniently have available if you're interested, that connects to the port next to the fuse box under the hood.

Best reference is the VECI decal under the hood, on the radiator support. It will tell you what EEC you have. If it is that close to 96, it may have the wire in pic above, but you may need an OBD-II reader(it may be EEC-V).

You could have the under the dash connector, it has wires for the ABS, Airbag, other modules, but not the PCM (maybe).

Back