• Register Today It's free!

CODE READERS

mgv366

Reaction score
City, State
long island,ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac
I WOULD LIKE TO BUT A CODE READER. ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE MENTIONED WAL-MART BUT I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIND ONE THERE.. I SEARCHED THE NET AND AUTO-BARN HAS A "FORD CODE READER" $32.99. IS THIS WHAT I NEED? GOD I HATE BEING A BONEHEAD WHEN IT COMES TO ENGINES!!!:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Attachments

• obdii.jpg
    obdii.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 185

thanks appreiate the reply but $200 + is a bit pricey for me!!
how come people keep mentioning this cheaper models?
i know you get what you pay for..

Seriously doubt that you will ne happy with the cheap ones.

Good luck.....

aldive, why not? For a 94 all the code reader does is blinks and beeps. You don't need somethign terribly fancy to interpret beeps. I got a code-reader but I got mine at Wal-mart, it was about $40 as I recall. For 96 and newer though your kinda outta luck, you won't find a code reader for that cheap. May also try pep boys or even checker or something.

You don't need a code reader at all. Hook up a voltmeter like it says in the haynes manual, get in the truck and watch the check engine light flash.

Originally posted by mattadams
aldive, why not? For a 94 all the code reader does is blinks and beeps. You don't need somethign terribly fancy to interpret beeps. I got a code-reader but I got mine at Wal-mart, it was about $40 as I recall. For 96 and newer though your kinda outta luck, you won't find a code reader for that cheap. May also try pep boys or even checker or something.

You are right matt, I didn't pay attention to the year of his truck I know nothing of OBD I and its readers. Sorry.

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS...I HAVE THE CHILTONS MANUAL...IS IT BETTER TO HAVE THE OTHER ONE?

Yes the Haynes Manual is a little more in-depth.

Ironically my buddy was just about to buy a $150 reader at O'rileys today and a guy overhearing him said another parts store (Advance Auto) rents them for free (with a $100 deposit). Check your local parts store for a rental before laying down the cash!

point of information:
I bought a haynes manual for my 94 but when I read many of the posts everyone was saying "its in the haynes manuals" Well it wasn't in mine.

There was an update which is the one with all the good stuff. It is titled 1991- 2000 vs 1991 -1995

For what it is worth

Back