Code/Scan Raders | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Code/Scan Raders

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Fellows. Have a 2002 S/T and a Ranger Edge. Wanted to have the DTC, etc read and contacted the local Ford dealer to do so. Got told its a 2-3 day wait as they are soooo busy....and they charge $100.

So with the $100 one time charge I thought I might purchase a Reader (would pay a $200-$300) and then I can use the Reader when I want.

Would like some recommendations on a Reader..in that $2-300 price range that would....for the most part.... read (ALL) the codes my Fords might have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a cheap Elm327 reader from Amazon and pair it with a phone app.

I run it with the EngineLink app on my iPhone. That app includes the extra Ford specific info with it.
I think I’m in $30 for the scanner and the app.

Bafx Products Wireless WiFi (OBDII) OBD2 Scanner & Reader - for iOS/iPhone & Android Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078K54MT5/?tag=serious-20

Thanks Fellows. Really would like a "stand alone reader/scanner. Been reading about the Launch tools but I'm concerned about the support the company offers. Apparrently some purchasers have had a very difficult time getting help from Launch.

So...any suggestions for a 'stand alone unit" I've got a 2002 S/T and Ranger

/www.autel.com/c/www/mk1/3242.jhtml

I have this Autel AutoLink AL619 scanner for over 4 years now and I must say I'm very happy with it.

If you're looking to get something only specific for Ford, then Forscan can of course do more for you, but generally for use with a wider range of vehicles this is a very good device which can read out all the standard OBD2 codes and additionally a lot of different manufacturer's specific ASB/SRS codes. The ABS code on my Explorer that I needed to fix by replacing a $17 speed sensor, is why I purchased mine. (The website has a list of all brands and models it has the ABS/SRS codes for)
Just keep in mind that there are two types of this OBD2 scanner, the "standard" US version which has ABS/SRS codes for most common US vehicles including your Ford Ranger and then there is the AutoLink Al619EU which has the ABS/SRS codes of most of the European cars instead.

It won't let you do some of the professional stuff like reprogramming modules or so, but for reading and resetting codes and looking at live data it's very useful.
The only thing annoying about it, is that it makes you manually enter your vehicle's VIN number by clicking through the on screen keyboard with the arrow keys, before you can read out the ABS and SRS codes (But that's not required for reading out the standard OBD2 codes, so it's a very minor hassle I can easily live with.) And being a stand alone device of course you also can't just click and copy paste data onto your pc or phone. But it has a flash card you can use, but I personally never do other than saving files internally for use in the device if I want to look at something again later.

For a stand alone code reader that is not a high end professional type of device, but an upper middle class device good for hobby mechanics I can really recommend it and it has saved me and people I've helped out far more than it cost me back then. My father over in Germany bought the EU version of it and he's just happy like me.

I can't really say much about support simply because there never was any issue or any reason to contact them. And I only ever downloaded (and only had to download) one software update at the very beginning.

German.... Thank you. I'll take a look.

Back