Stinger357

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Eddie
I have 6 pages of codes from autozone. I will list them below:

P0175, P301, P303, P305, P0306, P 0171

Can somebody help me with these codes. My tech changed plugs 1 and 6, and the truck seems to ride better. Any help on this codes. Wires still need to be done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 6 pages of codes from autozone. I will list them below:

P0175, P301, P303, P305, P0306, P 0171

Can somebody help me with these codes. My tech changed plugs 1 and 6, and the truck seems to ride better. Any help on this codes. Wires still need to be done.

P301- misfire cyl1
p303-misfire 3
p305-misfire 5
p306-misfire 6
p0171 - lean error

you have a malfunction that is affecting both banks - and lean condition...

is the p0171 - current or stored?

Duh, I was assuming it is a 6cyl -- not sure of the firing order or cyl numbers but if it is an 8 it might be one bank affected

with all these misfires going on what could be the problem? I know for sure cylinder 1 is good we just changed it not 2 hours ago, so some device in the truck is causing the misfires to occuer. Could it be the ignition coil causing all this mess? or the PVC or the MAF needs to be cleaned. Anyone else experience this kind of unusual ocurrance?

A likely cause of misfire in that vintage are bad ignition wires. Had to replace them twice on my '98. If these are the original wires on your '97, they need to go.
A word about the other codes: P0171 is Bank 1 (passenger side) lean. P0175 is Bank 2 (driver side) rich. You start counting the cylinder numbers from the front on the passenger side, so on a V6 Bank 1 is 1-2-3, and Bank 2 is 4-5-6. If it's the 5.0L V8, then Bank 1 is 1-2-3-4, and Bank 2 is 5-6-7-8.
The rich code could be the result of the misfiring. I would take care of the misfiring, clear the codes and see what happens next. Hopefully you haven't been driving too long in this condition - there is a risk of frying the catalytic converter with unburned fuel.

I am getting some christmas money so with that I will invest in a complete tuneup from a well known company. And I am going to watch them do it (they let you in the bay) and invest in a new ignition coil which runs about 78 dollars at autozone. Thanks for the advise. I am hoping after a complete tuneup and new coil it will run better. if the code remains then I am afraid this truck has had it for me.

with all these misfires going on what could be the problem? I know for sure cylinder 1 is good we just changed it not 2 hours ago, so some device in the truck is causing the misfires to occuer. Could it be the ignition coil causing all this mess? or the PVC or the MAF needs to be cleaned. Anyone else experience this kind of unusual ocurrance?

P0171 either means not enough fuel or too much air... If you are having multiple misses and a lean code it would lend me to believe that maybe you have a fuel pressure issue. You should start by inspecting plugs and wires and then get a fuel pressure tester on it. A weak pump or a stopped up [fuel] filter can cause this.

You would also be best served to clean the MAF with MAF cleaner and check for obvious vac leaks.

Good luck and keep us posted

before changing the fuel pump which could be the problem still to early to tell, would it be cheaper to change the fuel filter first? The fuel pump looks like a 2-3 hour job which a mech would charge me 600+

It would be crazy to blow $600 on a fuel pump just on a hunch. I doubt that the misfires has anything to do with it, but get a pressure gauge and see what's going on - they can be rented, but you can probably buy one for around $50. Replacing the fuel filter is quick, cheap and couldn't hurt -- if done by someone who knows how to discharge the system and won't spray gasoline all over the place, risking a fire.

It would be interesting to find out what kind of tuneup is that well-known company going to do. There has been nothing to 'tune-up' since the late 80s, when automotive engines became computer-controlled and fuel injected. I would suggest asking what exactly they are going to do before spending any money there.
Are you sure that your engine has only one ignition coil? A 97 should be using a distributorless, multiple-coil ignition system (one coil per two cylinders).
And finally, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, have those 14-year ignition wires replaced before you pay a bundle for coils and such.

Is there any videos or threads on how to clean the MAF LOL

ok a little research I found it is called a security torx. Now when I get the MAF off when using brake fluid cleaner or whatever is good to us, do I make sure not to spray on the scensor itself? Or is it ok to do the whole underneath?

Only use MAF cleaner, not brake cleaner. Then spray the heck out of it.

at the risk of sounding like a broken record, have those 14-year ignition wires replaced before you pay a bundle for coils and such.

69Mach1 said:
Only use MAF cleaner, not brake cleaner.

Don't spray the heck out of it though. The MAF is very fragile. Search the forum and you'll get dozens of threads of people who "cleaned" their MAF with something like tar and messed it up.

Don't spray the heck out of it though.

Assuming you do not smack the thin wires with the straw, MAF cleaner will not hurt a thing. You can give it a good bath and make sure it's clean.

Sorry About that I sometimes forget when I make threads since there is usually a different problem, but seem very simular. Wont do it again.

I've always sprayed my MAF cleaner through the screen, I haven't removed the MAF to do it... If you prefer to remove it, Harbor Freight has the security Torx bits...

Spray through the screen Hmmmm tell me more about this it sound easy enough to do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok the 175 code could be set due to misfiring ignition-which would led to unburned fuel seen by 02 sensors

I'd troubleshoot the misfire codes for now. It may help to read the plugs, so pull em out--keep them in order and shoot a picture of them please.

Back