Codes P0174 & P0171

sapogmxr

!!Drink Beer in Jersey!!
Reaction score
City, State
Edison, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT
Just went to Auto Zone and they read these codes for me.
P0174 " The PCM has determined that during testing, the fuel system for bank 2 was too lean. (bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies the cylinders on the opposite bank)

P0171 " The PCM has determined that during testing, the fuel system for bank 1 was too lean. (bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies the cylinders on the opposite bank)

What the hell does that mean? Can anyone help me out and tell me how to fix this thing. It all started from a fuel cap light. I have changed my plugs, wires, fuel filter, and added fuel injector cleaner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After searching i have seen that it might be a dirty o2 sensor or pcv valve. Can anyone tell me were those are.

Clean your Mass Air Flow Sensor first, that is probably the problem. I believe there is a tech article about this.

You have a 97, which is OBD-II. You can have someone look at operating parameters using a scanner... You might to be able to localize the problem and save a bunch of $$$ not just blindly replacing things. I'd look at long term fuel trim. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the MAF sensor myself...

Happy Exploring

Chris

Clean MAS. Also make sure there are no crack/openings in the intake tube between the MAS and the Throttle Body. You could be sucking in unmetered air....

The MAS is the sensor thats atached to the intake tube?

yes, right after teh air filter box

I have the same codes, and have cleaned the MAF sensor, as well as replacing a busted hose to the DFPE.

The problem still persists, along with p0305. Any ideas?

Well i cleaned my MAF im gonna see how long it will take for the light to come back on. its been only 1 day so far. Ill update.

The fact you have both 171 and 174 means whatever is affecting fuel air is affecting both banks, and is in excess of the computer's ability to compensate. Having cleaned the MAF, I'd next suspect a vacuum leak... intake gasket or something like that. Probably not a SMALL leak either if that's what it is.

Happy Exploring

Chris

Back