• Register Today It's free!

coil install

ThirteenthCurve

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Stevens, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 YJ
just curious if anyone could link me to some tutorial or maybe a past thread that covered a front coil spring install. i did a search but i couldnt come up with anything. im thinking it would be pretty easy...then again....never really done this type of stuff.

also installing new shocks all the way around to, thinkin these are just jack up, place on jack stand, and bolt on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some size coil or are you adding lift?
Its pretty easy but you need some special tools.

You jack up the truck from the beam, remove tire.
Jack up more and support the frame
Let the beam droop
Loosen the coil retaining nut using a 1/2" drive, extensions and 23mm socket
you go through the top of the coil buvcket.
Note how the coil is locked in place with the J hooks up top, you will ahve to install the new coil in the EXACT same location (rotation)

re-sinallt retaining nut, and washer, BLamo you are done.
Other side is the same, you will need alignment.

it is easy...jack the truck up by the frame, put your 1-18" socket on the nut at the bottom of the coil, use abunch of extensions so you can get your ratchet on it...lefty loosy and it's pretty much done. Just note where the spring is located in the upper and lower buckets so you can put it back in the same place when you re-install. This link, while for a coil spacer install will tell you how to do it :) http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/factoryspacer.htm

code

hum, well ok, easy enough. maybe ill do a write up when i do this, just for others who are planning the same thing.

and yes its a lift, 2".

ah well since its a lift you will want to loosen up and remove the upper ball joint camber shim and install some new Moog 2.75 degree shims, this will save you $$$ at the alignment shop.
You can then set the truck back down and adjust the toe and camber yourself, by hand/eyeball to get you down to the alignment place

where might i be able to get thoes?

Be prepared for the things that may happen.
Both lower shock mounts broke right off after a single rachet turn. If they brake you will need to rig up a fix using bolts or replace the RA.
That spring nut is a ***** to remove. I had a 1/2 drive & it wouldn't budge. I had to use this huge 1/2 inch breaker bar & cause it was so big I could only turn the nut 1/4 of a turn at a time. Took forever to get them off.
You also need to take the sway bar end links off. In order to drop the axle low enough to get the springs out & in.
Searching here I thought is was easy too. I was wrong in my case. I wish to God I paid a shop.

I did it...yeah it takes abit of muscle but it isn't bad

Jay, start by spraying WD40 of liquid Wrench on all bolts and nuts several times for a couple of days in advance.

Like the others said, jack it up and put stands under the frame, Disconnect the shocks, disconnect the sway bar, remove the spring retainer nut (as described) etc. eyc.etc.

Check Les Schwabb for the shims.

When are you going to do this???

im thinking next week before i hit up eastern washington. tuesday and wednesday im thinkin.

you ever gone up to evens creek? there is some bad ass trails up there.

i have not, where is that located?

pay a shop?????? NO!!!!!

Youcan order 2.75 degree Moog shims from Car quest, Napa, and others. Moog brand are the best design.

I always forget about the sway bar since mine is a quick disco and hardly ever hooked up.
Since you are doing new shocks, you can remove them before you install the coil, install them after the coil.

Good luck!

Back