• Register Today It's free!

Coil Pack Loud Snapping

CyanEyed

Reaction score
City, State
West Coast USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer XLT
What is the coil pack supposed to sound like?

Mine sounds like its snapping these http://www.halcyon.com/donace/pencil09c.jpg at a rate of 700 per minute.

im troubleshooting alot of things right now, a description of the coil pack noise or a video would be very helpful. (i will try the resistance test when i get around to it, but other things are more pressing right now)

ive worked on several cars and trucks, and mine is the only one with an audible coil pack.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The coil pack shouldn't sound like anything. If yours is making noise, it's likely either bad or has some sort of damage/defect causing the electrical energy to be audible rather than go through the wires.

I'd suggest a new coil pack ASAP, preferably OEM Motorcraft.

yes, as stated above, for some reason the spark energy has found an easier path to ground than what it was designed for (the spark plug gap). In other words, the spark is firing outside the cylinder somewhere - instead of inside the engine.

Anyway, that's what it seems to be.

It could be something else, but with the engine running, you could open the hood when it's dark outside, and you might see the blue light firing somewhere. Maybe all you need is replacement spark plug wires.

i just went outside (pitch black night) there is no visible arcing. i covered the coil pack with a foam drain cover and my hands, and the sound of arcing diminished significantly. i took it off (labeled the wires positions) and there were no carbon trails under it.

i just checked it with a multimeter using the test from here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236721 and i get primary test readings of 1.4 1.5 and .8 for resistance. (this tells me its probably bad) but i cant get the secondary test to show any readings. it shows full resistance (open circuit) when i test any of the sockets. is there a trick to it?

i also just asked my dad if he had replaced it before, he said no, meaning its 22yrs old with almost 300k miles on it. i just ordered the motorcraft one from rockauto.

thanks for the input.

just run your hand over it while it is running, you will find the leak. probably bad plug wires or not snapped down tight.

I'd hope he fixed the problem by now, seeing as this thread is over 5 years old

Back