Coil pack smoking while cranking motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coil pack smoking while cranking motor

Robrun77

Reaction score
City, State
Damascus, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford explorer
0907151723_zpsf07ijzi8.jpg
I have a 92 4.0l v6. My cousin started removing the wiring off the motor. I bought the rig and put it back together as best I could but now the Coil pack is smoking when I try to start. Also the fuel pump is not working. It works when I hard wire it. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the coil pack, check that it has a good ground. It grounds around where it contacts the metal it slides down into. If that is corroded and you have a loose connection you might have enough resistance to smoke.

For the fuel pump, check if you blew the EEC fuse when you let the smoke out of the coil pack. If the EEC fuse blows, you won't have spark or fuel.

thanks i'll check those.

So I checked the mounts for the coilpack and found that 2 of the mounting bolts were broke.

Also not sure what the broken peice is on the coil pack brkt but it was on by a thread and broke off as soon as i touched it.

Further inspection of the coil pack and it is split on the bottom and looks to be blown out on the side.
I will get a new coilpack and re mount it with new hardware. But my question is could this be the only reason for smoking the coil? I checked the eec fuse and it was good.

IMG_20150929_181141_zpsado2iolq.jpg

Typically the Ford coil pack is very durable and can last the life of the vehicle. Chances are yours was damaged by the arcing.

My cousin said he thought it needed replaced but it ran great before.. I'm just wondering if I have something wired wrong. It's frustrating trying to re wire something you didn't take apart.

So i picked up a new coil pack and its not smoking anymore while cranking but i am not getting any spark. I borrowed a new ecu "computer" but that didn't work. Im stumped as to where to go from here? I checked all the fuses and all are good. Anyone have a direction for me?
Thanks

If you borrowed the ECU, borrow the ICM as well.

Im going to check tonight if im getting power to icm, from ecu to coilpack. Also check the cps.

Im gettin power from ecu to the icm and to the coil. And the coil is still getting hot and splitting the case on the bottom. Not sure what is going on?

So I still cannot figure out was is wired wrong. I am not getting spark and the fuel pump is not firing. There is power at the ecu, ecm, coilpack. But the coilpack is still getting hot and splitting???i checked fuses and relays everything is good. I borrowed a ecu and same thing power everywhere but no spark... Any help would be much appreciated this thing has been sitting too long.

The coil pack gets triggered via the ICM. Look between the two.

You can apply power to a coil for ever and it will not get hot.

The only way that is happening is to be continuously discharging through a shorted plug wire or spark plug.

There are three wires on the coil + - and trigger. Not sure how hacked up the wiring is but that should not be tough to figure out. (wire diagram)

Back