• Register Today It's free!

coil pack ?

jimbolin

Reaction score
City, State
crosby,texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4 door
I have been trying to clear a 176 code and have changed just about everything out that I would think would be associated with it with the exception of the coil. When I check the spark with my induction timing light I noticed that the spark duration on the DS is about 4 times longer than the PS.Is it possible that the coils will bleed over?What controls the spark duration on a coil pack? By the way this is the original coil with 275k miles on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never been able to detect spark duration with a timing light. Is there some new technology that I am not aware of. I mean, I am over 64 years old and not up on all the new tech stuff. I'm kinda old school. All the electronic gadgets on my 96 are nice to have, but sure a PIA when something doesn't work.

timing light ck- Maybe the wrong terminology but with an induction type timing light I checked ea cylinder for spark.The right side on 1-3 the timing light showed a clear and precise spark (light flash).On the left side 5-6 the spark (light flash )was not as precise and the light stayed on or a very rapid succesion of flashes almost like a long flash was produced.

As far as the links that T-Bar gave me I have already through them,in fact I have done searches on the forums countless times and for the most part come up empty handed.I have already replaced PCM and other related parts that possibly cause a code 176 lean condition.

..Although your first post does not give much of a description other than you are looking at your coil pack for what is generally an o2 sensor problem...

...Could you share a more detailed account of what you have done in order to fix this problem?

..It might be useful to others who may be of some help and who may have some better answers for you...;)

I apoligize.This is not the first post from me on this subject and I was just trying to shorten things up.
Items that have been replaced/checked;
1 Initial trouble started with a diode going bad in PCM.....repalced
2 replacedfuel filter and checked fuel pressure was within parameters
All was good after this.About week later cel came on code 176.Performance not affected
3 changed out ect no change
4 changed out MAF
5 Changed out crankshaft sensor no change
6 Changed out TPS. No change
7 Checked for vacumn leaks. All good
8 Checked all grounds. No change
9 Changed out and swapped O2 sensors.No change
10Changed out IAC valve.No change
11Changed out intake air ducting.No change
12Replaced upper and lower intake manifold gaskets.No change
13Changed out ign wires and plugs.No change
14Changed out cat and muffler.No change

It is running great but does get a little warm idling in the heat but cools quickly.I have literally searched the entire forum for the code issue which by the way very few have finished the thread with a resolution.There was one thread and I cannot find it right now, had a list of causes and mentioned the coil pack,hence my question about it.Before I change it out I wanted to find out if it indeed would cause the code.I feel all was not in vain since these items mostly maintenance items that need changing at this mileage anyway.

Back