• Register Today It's free!

Coil springs 4-link??????

Lostcause66

Reaction score
City, State
Independence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 5.0
Hey yall, I've pretty much turned my 97 limited into a trail truck but now I need more ground clearance. I was wondering if anybody has done this and if so what gear did they use? I prefer junk yard parts for now one for price and two cuz before too long I'm gonna take the body off completely and just use the frame. I'm curious about corner weight if anybody knows what each corner weighs and I'm also curious about what coil springs and mounts I can use. Thanks for the help. Ps if there's a thread already covering this please point it out cuz I must have missed it.

Are you looking for a solid axle swap or just getting rid of the torsion bars? I'm guessing solid axle swap since you said you are looking for more ground clearance.

As far as solid axle swaps. It's been done. There's a whole subsection of the forum dedicated to it:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63

Here's mine:
8ff1586704332d19d302d6e8e399df14.jpg

1ce77bba026060e91abad826b843455c.jpg

It's a Dana 30 out of a '96 Cherokee that's been trussed and gussetted. Springs are Iron Rock Offroad 7.5" lift for a ZJ that I cut about 2 coils out of. I estimate my spring rate to be around 280 lb/in. I do have an idea of what my front corner weights are (but I have a big heavy steel bumper on the front) but my numbers are at home (something like 1200 lbs on each).

Hey Tom, is your EX a V8 or V6? And did you weld/lock your front diff and if so how have your axle shafts been holding up?

I'm V6 for as long as I don't get timing chain rattle.

Axle shafts are holding up just fine. But I'm not a heavy footed driver offroad. However, chromoly will probably be making their way on soon.

Front diff has an Eaton Truetrac (as does the rear). Pretty happy with them. They are always there waiting to spring into action. And with the amount of flex, I never have a wheel in the air so the Truetracs always work.

Back