• Register Today It's free!

Coil Wiring harness question

Jakers_AK

Reaction score
City, State
North Pole, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac Adrenalin
So I've owned my 04' Sport Trac Adrenalin for 6 years now and have done all my own maintenance including plugs/wires, oil changes, transfer case swap, winterizing, etc. Today I was under the hood trying to diagnose my AC System and found something odd. I pulled on a piece of conduit that hanging down and realized it didn't go to anything, it was just hanging out there for the last 6 years and I never bothered with it because it didn't look out of place and you wouldn't know unless you actually pulled it out that it wasn't connected to anything. I traced the single wire back to the power steering pump area and then to the wiring harness connected to the coil. Right where the harness plugs into the coil, this single wire was spliced (with solder and wrapped with electrical tape) into another wire going into the harness connected to the coil. I want to say it was spliced into a white wire with orange stripe. So my question is what the heck is that all about? I couldn't find anywhere where the wire could have possibly been connected where I found the end. And why would it be spliced into a wire going into the coil? Doesn't make sense. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it look like from the factory, or after market? Maybe a test point?

I don't think it's factory, the splice was wrapped in electrical tape and it had been soldered to the other wire. Plus it was ran through a small piece of conduit that was just laying there. Different tape, and obviously not something the factory would do. I was thinking maybe it was someone trying to do some sort of testing/diagnosis or a bypass/ground/whoknows. All I know is the truck's been running fine for 6 years so obviously it wasn't hooked up to anything important. I've had plenty of vehicles where i find the previous owner's repair jobs and they've bypassed systems or rewired stuff but this one just got me thinking because I couldn't think of one possible situation where it would make sense to splice a wire into the coil harness.

Maybe some kind of power controller. I would just cover it and leave it alone. I have a remote start on mine under the dash from a previous owner. No remote. Tided into a few relays. Truck runs good. I just secured the wires and relays and drive. Not worth messing something up if it works.

There's nothing really to mess with, I just snipped the wire and taped it back up. I was really just more curious than anything. Auto-start is a good possibility because when I first got the truck I suspected an auto-start had been installed previously like a couple wires bypassing sensors, wires going nowhere that are obviously not stock, plus I could tell there had been some work done under the steering wheel where an auto start module would have been. I had to take a lot of the Driver's side dash and trim apart and reassemble it because it was all out of alignment and not put together correctly. IDK why I didn't think of that I guess It's been so long I forgot I had to do all that when i bought the thing. You're probably right thank you, you killed my curiosity.

Back