Coke Ovens - 11/23 Weekend | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Coke Ovens - 11/23 Weekend

PekingMan

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4x4
Coke Ovens (again) - 11/23 Weekend

Due to another request, they will also be a Florence/Coke Ovens run planned for the weekend of 11/23 or/through 11/24. Any takers? Becker69, I assume you are in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

becker69

Reaction score
City, State
Centennial, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
Yeah... I want to do this one while the weather is perfect. My wife's b-day is on 21 Nov, but the 23rd or 24th should be perfect.

PekingMan

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4x4
OK, I can't believe more people aren't up for this. The weather is absolutely perfect here in AZ and hardly anybody wants to go!!?? :(

PekingMan

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4x4
bump

Klowns

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XL
Like I said in the other post I'm up for going, assuming that I can get my wheel wells trimmed. Since they aren't even street curb worthy(they rub if i hit a bump), let alone offroading.

Not sure if this trail is a trail where 4wd would be necesarry. Since as of now, my 4wd isn't working, and it hasn't been determined what is making it not work properly.

PekingMan

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4x4
OK, lets do this trip on Sunday. I hope this works for everyone. If not, we can work on it (maybe Sat & Sun) although, Sunday is by far the better day.

PekingMan

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4x4
Everyone who wants to go meet on Sunday, (Nov. 24) 8:00AM at the meeting point, the start of Cottonwood Canyon road, left turn just off of 79 going south towards Florence.

Klowns

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XL
Well I think I fixed my 4wd i'll take it down to big O and have em hoist it, and see if it works. I did some trimming, it helped a bit, but i'm still gonna have a huge possibility of rubbing.

I would love to join you guys, but, I don't have a spare, or really anything, as of yet. Since I'm still scraping for money after dumping all this money into my Ex.

Just wondering if i'm still allowed to come, even though I don't really have any of the extra stuff that it seems everyone else has.

I'm sounding like a newb here. Which I am.

Alec

Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
While you don't really need 4x4 for this trail, you probably at least need 2-low. Though if your 4x4 breaks on the trail, you should be able to get out with the Eaton LS and 35"s.

I did it on my 31s without much difficulty. Was Eaton LS equipped and of course supercharged (which kinda makes up for my lack of low range).

PekingMan

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4x4
Originally posted by Klowns
Well I think I fixed my 4wd i'll take it down to big O and have em hoist it, and see if it works. I did some trimming, it helped a bit, but i'm still gonna have a huge possibility of rubbing.

I would love to join you guys, but, I don't have a spare, or really anything, as of yet. Since I'm still scraping for money after dumping all this money into my Ex.

Just wondering if i'm still allowed to come, even though I don't really have any of the extra stuff that it seems everyone else has.

I'm sounding like a newb here. Which I am.

Of course you are allowed to come:D I don't have everything that is recommended but I bring a lot of stuff, but between myself and the people I go with, we cover pretty much all of it. Thats one of the reasons why you should never go by yourself. I am actually buying a hi-lift jack tomorrow; its about time I have one. And I have a spare 33" if you need it.

As far as rubbing, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The trip will give you a good idea of how much more, if any, you still have to trim to completely clear your tires no matter what kind of travel the suspension goes through. One day of rubbing won't be a big deal at all.

We are not planning on doing anything extreme on Sunday. I don't plan on doing any trail that I think I have a good chance of breaking anything on. (Although, thats when its seems to happen....:p )

Do you know where to meet us? If not, send me an email or a PM and I'll get in touch with you and give you some more detailed directions if you need it.

Hey Alec, are you up for it?? Rick?? Looks like a small showing so far. Anyone else??

becker69

Reaction score
City, State
Centennial, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
Sorry I kinda dropped off the RADAR on this one... Don't kill me; but last Wed I found I am going to Vegas for 2-2 1/2 weeks, so due to family and house stuff that I need to get done before my trip; I can't drive up to Phoenix for this run :( I really wanted to do Coke Ovens too... but maybe I can swing it when I get back. I am bummed cuz I thought I was going to Vegas in March, and I wanted to order Rock Sliders from Gloria and pick-them up out there, but now I don't have time :( Oh well; give a good trail write up, have fun...look forward to some more wheelin' time.

Alec

Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
I'm not up for it since I'm in Texas ;) Just trying to help people get ready for the trail.

Klowns

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XL
Well I went out behind saguaro lake and went to 4 peaks. Didn't have any rubbing, since I did a great deal of trimming again yesterday. I did some really instese offroading, only rubbing I had was the back wheel was hitting the chrome part of the bumper, just gave it a nice shine :).

The camber on my front left is off big time. Looks like / instead of this |.

So Big O will look at it today, will let me know in a few hours what it was. Just by looking at it they that the bushings were bad. I hope it can be fixed by tomorrow I would love to go with you guys.

And no incase I do get my Ex back in working condition, I do not know where to meet, and would need some info/directions.

Klowns

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XL
So what's going on? Still going, only people I saw that were going was Rick and peking.

Whats going on?

I got my Ex back, part of my superlift kit bent, it was a beam or something, I'll have to have em give me a new one. And also my CV joints are going I think. The left front tire is still a bit off, but the guy worked it for 2 hours, and he got it as good as he could. He said it would be like that permanetely or something, I dunno, didn't make any sense to me, how it would be like that forever.

I'm still up for going tomorrow morning, but need to know where it is, and if anyone is actually going to go?

PekingMan

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4x4
I don't think Rick is going since I haven't heard from him. This looks like a no go. I haven't heard from hardly anybody and those who where going to go with me have pretty much bailed out. :frustrate Unless I am mistaken, I don't think anybody is going so I guess lets call the whole thing off. I'm sorry if some people were planning on going (and read this in time) but haven't notified me in some way. Some other time I guess.:(

becker69

Reaction score
City, State
Centennial, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
Chris; as I mentioned in my post above.... I am sorry to bail at the last minute... I am military and I have this trip to Vegas that I got tagged for at the last minute (2 1/2 week long trip). If I didn't have so much crap that I have been procrastinating, I would be able to go... but I didn't know about it till recently and my family isn't going either.