Cold air intake and k and n air filter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold air intake and k and n air filter?

aiton adoni

Reaction score
City, State
Morganville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 mercury mountaineer
Has anyone here installed one of these on their vehicle? I have a 4.6 in my mountaineer, 117000 miles, and it runs great. But, like everyone else, I want just a little more power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had one of K&N's cold air kits on my Mustang GT. It really didn't seem to make a lick of difference in the power department. I switched back to the factory air assembly and still felt no difference. I kinda got sick of cleaning the filter...just seems easier for me to just change the filter now.

The idea of a reusable filter sounds good at first,

oil vapors may contaminate the maf sensor though. Also, when it time comes to clean it plan on not driving for several hours. The element must dry completely before re oiling it. Blowing with compressed air will damage the internal material, so, you must wait it out.

I’m running one. Mainly it just sounds “cool”. I also got a deal on it, would not pay even close to retail. I would recommend buying an extra filter due to the cleaning process, as mentioned.

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it. I guess like many things we buy, including hi performance engine mods, many promises are made, but few are kept :).

Back