• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake and new exhaust

buffmo

Reaction score
City, State
PIttsburgh
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer XLT
What are your opinions on adding a cold air intake and a new exhaust?

What kind would you use?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DO IT !!!!!!!!!!

i just got my INTAKE/EXHAUST combo done this past week !

your truck will sound mean !! and it will pull like a **** !!

theres a huge difference when you get on the gas... you will be pinned to you seat while under heavy acceleration... compared to your stock set up !!!

what do you have ??? V6 or V8

V6 4.0
What kind did you buy?

Did you change the cat?

SET UP... 2003 xls 4x4

K&N 57series FIPK II INTAKE

CUSTOM FLOWMASTER EXHAUST...

3rd CAT removed
2.5'' piping
FLOWMASTER 40 series muffler
2.5'' piping under the rear axle
3'' MAGNAFLOW tip

Or... You can purchase a cat-back exhaust for your truck. I sell all kinds of intakes and exhaust.-j

What are your opinions on adding a cold air intake and a new exhaust?

What kind would you use?

I say go for the CAI... but if you've got a 4.0, leave your exhaust as is and save your $$ for some different mods. There's just no way to make a 6 sound as good as an 8. If you want to improve looks, get a stainless tip or something put back there.

I don't think i was going to try to make it sound like a 8 but i like the deeper exhaust sound. As far as the CAI what is a good brand to buy?

K & N seems popular. I've got a K&N drop in. Works well.

How much did you pick that up for?

Drop in filters are cheap. It was around 50 bucks. Local parts store had one. I was going to go the full intake route, but I've got one of my HID ballast's mounted on my stock intake box... and there's no other good place to put it.

Did you guys notice any increase in gas mileage with CAI and exhaust mods?

I'm looking to pick up a little bit, I know I'll never see even 25 out of my 4.0, but every little bit would be nice to have since my wife and I put 25K a year on it.

Did you guys notice any increase in gas mileage with CAI and exhaust mods?

I'm looking to pick up a little bit, I know I'll never see even 25 out of my 4.0, but every little bit would be nice to have since my wife and I put 25K a year on it.

A great way to better your gas mileage is underdrive pulleys.

MAC makes a CAI and a nice 2.5" Cat-back system for the X

CAI options...

- MAC / K&N / KKM

EXHAUST options...

- CUSTOM / MAC / MAGNAFLOW / GIBSON

these are the top brands im familar with...

MPG...

- with my INTAKE/EXHAUST combo i have noticed an OVERALL GAIN of 1.6 MPG... so there an improvement... results may vary depending on upkeep of your X...

consult the wise ALDIVE for MPG questions... he's the GURU of MPG !

A great way to better your gas mileage is underdrive pulleys.

What are the good brands of UD pulleys for the 4.0?

I'm not at all new to modding vehicles as I've had a pair of SN95 Mustangs but I've never modded my Explorer. I always kept it as the untouched vehicle until now. I saw a pretty well done explorer that had a mild lift, 2 inches maybe, a cargo rack, winch and brush guard. It even had mud shoved up in the wheel wells and now I'm thinking that I'd like to make mine a little more capable offroad and fuel efficient.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, so I know the tread is a little old, but i was hoping you guys could help out, with the little money i have i want to make my x a little better over time, my question if i save up the money to get this: http://www.jcwhitney.com/57-series-...005570.jcwx?filterid=c2034d16937y2003f4o240j1 , is there any other type of thing I will need? I get sorta confused and i thought i read that you have to oil the filter or somthing like that, sounds odd to me, any help would be appreciated.

Back