Cold Air Intake for 08 explorer 4.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake for 08 explorer 4.0L

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think KURTZ Kustomz lowered the price of the system to $89.99 ?

Okay I ordered the cai for my 08 explorer 4.0 v6 will I have any problems with the cel light or what. And I don't have to get my ecu reprogrammed do I. And also has anybody used this kit before what your reviews.

I have an '07 ex, and I had no problems or lights with anything. I use the KKM CAI. The only thing I noticed and no one has given me a solution, and I have torn the car apart myself looking for a solution, is a wierd whistle at about 2500 rpm. it is not I REPEAT not the fault of the CAI, the noise is there and can be heard with the stock intake, it just masks it really well and you have to have your ear in the engine compartment to notice it. With the CAI it is much more open and you will here it. I have moved, replaced, and adjusted lots of stuff and pretty much came to the conclusion that it is airflow into the the throttlebody that causes this. If anybody else has any ideas I would love to hear it.

My truck whistles to with the stock intake. I love it though cuase all my friends say it sounds like a turbo diesel or a intake. i am looking at getting the kkm intake for my 4.0 v6... Just wondering if it voids to factory warrenty.
Thanks,.

easy answer: no.
more complicated answer: it can.
Technically they can only void components that may have been messed up by the filter, like that mass air flow sensor for example (if they try and say filter was over oiled), but if your tranny drops they can't blame an airfilter, but they may try to say you were adding "perfomance parts" and you may have to fight it.
Long Story short, if you don't go to the dealer that much, just swap out filters before getting dealer service, it only takes five minutes.

I freind of mine sprays a little filter oil on a used paper filter, switches the K & N prior to going to the dealer. This way, he thinks will say he drove behind a diesel truck and that's how oil got on the MAF !!!!

did any of guys have trouble disconnecting the maf sensor mine would not pull off so i just reinserted it once the kkm was installed. Is there some kind of trick to it.

i have a 05 explorer 4.0l and it does the same dam thing drives me nuts that i dont know what it is but i guess it does kinda sound like a turbo kinda cool lol

did any of guys have trouble disconnecting the maf sensor mine would not pull off so i just reinserted it once the kkm was installed. Is there some kind of trick to it.

THere's a red clip that slides out about 1/4". Then push the tab to disconnect the plug.

The whistle problem

The whistle you guys are hearing is being caused by the IAC located somewhere on the intake. Varies with diff. models. Check out this link for pictures and ideas of how to clean it. A new one is around $80 and really thats the way to go. I've cleaned mine several times and the whistle always returns.

http://www.explorer4x4.com/iac.htm

HOpe this helps.

John

I got mine at autozone, it cost me 90$. And it most of the time when you put a cold air intake on and the "Check Engine light" comes on its because the engine is running lean, because there is a leak in your intake. If that happens spray soap and water onto your intake tube, where ever you see bubbles, tighten up the hose or clamp.

2006 V6 ford explorer cold air intake:
1.jpg
3.jpg
NewImage.jpg
2.jpg

im sorry for bugging but where did you get the intake from and how much cause im diening to get 1...

My truck whistles to with the stock intake. I love it though cuase all my friends say it sounds like a turbo diesel or a intake. i am looking at getting the kkm intake for my 4.0 v6... Just wondering if it voids to factory warrenty.
Thanks,.

if you blow the engine with it, yes. if it sets a cel light for lean / rich condition yes. if the cause of the concern is the intake it can cost you.

this is what it comes down too.

all aftermarket intakes are off road use. which means at that point, the factory does not cover it, the dealership wont waste time, since its not legal for the streets, which you modified the vehicle past its legal build.

so use at your own risk.

Okay guys I have a question. I have an 07 explorer (4x4) and it is a 4.0 V6
I know a guy selling a k&n filter system that he purchased and didn't really like it.
He is offering it too me for half price, curious if anyone knows will this work, or
Am I wasting my time. The only reason I'm considering it vs a brand new one
Is he's offering at half price was on jus F150 for about a month and he just
Wasn't getting the gain he expected... Please any feedback helps. Much appreciation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back