Cold Air intake for 2000 Ford explorer V8 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air intake for 2000 Ford explorer V8 5.0

Deerock96

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
I am supposed to be buying a 2000 Ford explorer V8 tomorrow and I want to know if a cold air intake really increases the gas mileage and give a noticable power boost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

G'day and welcome. That's a hornet's nest, heaps of people say it does and heaps of people say it doesn't. Do a search and you'll see what I mean:thumbsup:. I will say that they look good, from where I'm sitting (on the fence).;)

Thanks that's what I thought, some say yes and some no. I will do some research on it.

I will say...it depends.Now then on my 94 4.0 it made a huge difference but I also ditched the stock,restrictive muffler.And a bunch here say I'm full of it even though I'm the one who drives it....and I was a GM tech for years,details,details.:rolleyes:

On my 2000 it sounds like someone has already done some exhaust work but many on here say the exhaust manifolds on the 5.0 are the problem.

I say if you can afford it,try it and let us know.Intake first then a different muffler.At least it will sound good.I am going that route this summer when cash flow is better.:D

Thanks..I will see how it runs when I get it and test the gas mileage and then compare it when I get one...I will keep you posted. They are pretty expensive so I will have to save as well

Safn,

What are the problems with the manifolds?

Safn,

What are the problems with the manifolds?

They say the 5.0 manifolds are very restrictive,I don't know for sure as my 5.0 runs like crazy and is in dire need of a tuneup.It's going to be interesting to see what it runs like with new plugs and wires.

As a side note I checked my mileage today and it is about 14.4 mpg,but....my plugs are hammered,half of the electrode is worn off,it's 7 F outside and I'm willing to bet it has original wires.And I drive it like I stole it.:D

Brooklyn I did a search and came up empty.Which surprises me to tell the truth.

Back