• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake (CAI)

Billy Dunwoody

Reaction score
City, State
Culver City, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
Does anyone know if the Roush Cold Air Intake for the 2019/2020 Ranger will work on the Explorer XLT?
Same engine, 2.3L I4.
Don't think K&N will be out with one anytime soon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know, no one here has installed that. Why not just contact them and ask?

Peter

As far as I know, no one here has installed that. Why not just contact them and ask?

Peter
They have not responded to my email from Thursday

Beat you to it. Quired them last week. The response was that they have no products for the 6th gen Explorer. Nor, do they have anything in the works.

Does anyone know if the Roush Cold Air Intake for the 2019/2020 Ranger will work on the Explorer XLT?
Same engine, 2.3L I4.
Don't think K&N will be out with one anytime soon
Just curious if you ever found a cold air intake for the 2020 explorer. I have a 2020 limited and would like to get a little bit if sound without doing exhaust.

Hey everyone im new to the fourm so sorry if I'm repeating...but I have a 2021 Explorer XLT and was wondering if anyone had any luck with finding a cold air intake?

Hey everyone im new to the fourm so sorry if I'm repeating...but I have a 2021 Explorer XLT and was wondering if anyone had any luck with finding a cold air intake?
Welcome to the Forum, :wave:
Unless you are planning to add a 'tune', A CAI is pretty well a waste of money. Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion
There are several threads on CAI's but they are in the 5th gen Forum. I haven't found anything in the 6th gen forum using the 'Search' feature at the top right.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum, :wave:
Unless you are planning to add a 'tune', A CAI is pretty well a waste of money. Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion
There are several threads on CAI's but they are in the 5th gen Forum. I haven't found anything in the 6th gen forum using the 'Search' feature at the top right.

Peter
Thanks Peterk9. Yes I do plan on having it tuned but but im gonna wait till I have all the mods I want. That is if I can find them. I will make good use of the search bar. Thanks again.

Thanks Peterk9. Yes I do plan on having it tuned but but im gonna wait till I have all the mods I want. That is if I can find them. I will make good use of the search bar. Thanks again.
I bought the K&N cold air intake. Install is simple once you get the factory fresh air inlet hose off which requires pulling that end of the charge tube away to access the tabs. I made it sound more complicated than it really is. Just use a long flathead screwdriver and you can pop the tabs while pulling on the tube.

Anyways, the sound from this intake is worth the purchase. My butt dyno tells me it feels "faster" but it's likely just the increased turbo noise. However, my goal is to fabricate a downpipe from a Ranger to work with a custom exhaust(that doesn't sound like a early 2000s Honda) one day and then tune for everything.

The CAI doesn't slow the car down so there's that but you're really buying this for the sound and future ability to increase HP once you tune to the increase in intake flow and cooler temps of the air. However, better charge pipes would be instrumental in HP increases.

I will add that the Ranger or Mustang Ecoboost CAI kits will not work on our cars. They route the airbox to the left, if looking into your engine bay from the front of the car versus the K&N kit routing how our factory cold air inlet tubes feed from the right. You can see from the below pics that there is an electrical assembly where the Ranger/Mustang route their airboxes.

You may also notice I had to relocate my JLT oil catch can. Where they instruct you to mount it would conflict with the K&N air box. I simply drilled a hole in the factory strut bar and mount it there. Once I upgrade to the Steeda strut bar I will need to rethink this strategy.

It really is a shame Ford made the implementation and layout of the Explorer 2.3 vastly different from the Ranger/Mustang variants so as we can't carry over any parts easily.

20220219_104252.jpg 20220219_104301.jpg 20220219_104315.jpg

I bought the K&N cold air intake. Install is simple once you get the factory fresh air inlet hose off which requires pulling that end of the charge tube away to access the tabs. I made it sound more complicated than it really is. Just use a long flathead screwdriver and you can pop the tabs while pulling on the tube.

Anyways, the sound from this intake is worth the purchase. My butt dyno tells me it feels "faster" but it's likely just the increased turbo noise. However, my goal is to fabricate a downpipe from a Ranger to work with a custom exhaust(that doesn't sound like a early 2000s Honda) one day and then tune for everything.

The CAI doesn't slow the car down so there's that but you're really buying this for the sound and future ability to increase HP once you tune to the increase in intake flow and cooler temps of the air. However, better charge pipes would be instrumental in HP increases.

I will add that the Ranger or Mustang Ecoboost CAI kits will not work on our cars. They route the airbox to the left, if looking into your engine bay from the front of the car versus the K&N kit routing how our factory cold air inlet tubes feed from the right. You can see from the below pics that there is an electrical assembly where the Ranger/Mustang route their airboxes.

You may also notice I had to relocate my JLT oil catch can. Where they instruct you to mount it would conflict with the K&N air box. I simply drilled a hole in the factory strut bar and mount it there. Once I upgrade to the Steeda strut bar I will need to rethink this strategy.

It really is a shame Ford made the implementation and layout of the Explorer 2.3 vastly different from the Ranger/Mustang variants so as we can't carry over any parts easily.

View attachment 426524 View attachment 426525 View attachment 426526
do you think this setup would work on the 2022 XLT as well ?

do you think this setup would work on the 2022 XLT as well ?
Don't waste your money, spend it on a tune. CAI will do nothing.

You're not completely wrong here. However, the sound this produces will turn some heads. Couple that with the air diverter valve mod and the whoosh-pssst sound is smile inducing. I bought it on a whim and can honestly say it's been worth it if for nothing more than making people think there's more than I have under the hood.

I agree with the tune route which is in the future but I'm trying to see if I'll be able to mod up a Ranger downpipe first.

does a stock XLT benefit from a tune ? does it void warranty.

and Yes I like the CAI sound improvements more than anything :cool:

would the 2020 or 2021 CAI from K&N fit on the 2022 ? anybody try it ?

Only failed items tied to the use of a 'tune' would not be covered under warranty. It will not void the overall vehicle warranty. There has been discussion on whether a dealer can tell if a tune was used even if it was removed prior to taking it in for service. I believe that the use of a tune cannot be hidden if someone wanted to really check it out. I believe that a tune would benefit your XLT although I've never used one or intend to use one.
No idea about the 3rd point.

Peter

Yes. It would as there are no changes between 2020 MY and 2022 MY Explorers.

I have a 2021 ford explorer xlt i put the k&N intake it sounds great but after a few month my engine light comes on saying my turbo is loosing boost. Took it to the dealer cant find any problem the dealer think is the intake any one come across this problem.

I have a 2021 ford explorer xlt i put the k&N intake it sounds great but after a few month my engine light comes on saying my turbo is loosing boost. Took it to the dealer cant find any problem the dealer think is the intake any one come across this problem.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
You could always put the original intake back in and see if that clears the issue. If it doesn't and a part is found to be defective and the cause is attributed to the modification, chances are it will not be covered by the warranty.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone installed a K&N cold air on a 2.3?

77-2594KC K&N PERFORMANCE AIR INTAKE SYSTEM​

Wondering how much louder the intake noise was. Had a 2016 escape 2.0. It was loud. My wife hated it,but it woke that motor up.

Back