cold air intake

dashuffer

Reaction score
City, State
Howe, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer 5.0L
where can i get a cheap cold air intake for a '97 5.0 explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cheap means different things to different people.

What do YOU consider cheap?

Nobody makes true cold-air setups for Explorers. Most of what is out there is what most people think of as "short-ram" intakes.

I have the MAC intake on mine and it is fantastic. Relatively inexpensive, and it greatly improved throttle response and gave a 1.5 mpg boost.

http://www.macperformance.com/store/product1.cfm?SID=3&Product_ID=353

Anyone have the Mac Air Intake for the 4.0 OHV? Didnt know they made one, I have the original K&N FIPK and have had good luck with it.

You could always look at doing your own here is the one that i built for my truck for about 60
Coldairintake1.jpg

just going by dyno tests on my 350 horse '03 mustang gt, the cheap $60 knock off CAI on ebay put out the same weak power as do the $300 k&N or the $180 mac....depends on what part your buying as to if cheap is the better route...

thanks...ill look into either making my own or getting the mac...k&n is too expensive for little to no gain..

MAC definitely makes the best kit for the money. High quality components and looks good to boot. You can spend a lot more on K&N and less on some cheapo intakes on eBay, but MAC brings the best mix of quality and price. Intakes all work the same. Just make sure that if you make your own that you don't skimp on the filter.

You could always look at doing your own here is the one that i built for my truck for about 60
Coldairintake1.jpg

Nice looking home made setup. I like.

i got all the parts at an orielly auto parts store i believe the rubber boots were 11 a piece and the maf adapter which is for the 90mm lighting maf and it was 14 and the filter was 30 which is good for 100000 miles and can be recharged, then i used a piece of 3" exhaust pipe i have a ton of these lol from when i used to work at Winnebago and i got some metallic blue spray paint and painted it to match the filter and drilled a hole and put a rubber garment to hold the line in.

i got all the parts at an orielly auto parts store i believe the rubber boots were 11 a piece and the maf adapter which is for the 90mm lighting maf and it was 14 and the filter was 30 which is good for 100000 miles and can be recharged, then i used a piece of 3" exhaust pipe i have a ton of these lol from when i used to work at Winnebago and i got some metallic blue spray paint and painted it to match the filter and drilled a hole and put a rubber garment to hold the line in.

Kudos again. You did a great job. Many of the homemade setups I've seen look homemade. How did you secure the MAF/filter in place? The MAC comes with a great MAF adapter with two plugs that fit where the stock airbox used to go to hold everything in place.

I actually have one of these MAC adapters kicking around that I really should sell one of these days. I don't need is as I've got a modified Volant kit on my 5.0. The intake tube I used was originally from an el cheap kit off of eBay, but I recently got my hands on a 2nd hand MAC setup (sans filter) and used the MAC tube (hence why I've got the MAF adapter still, no need for it with my setup). I had to hit a muffler shop to cut the MAC tube a bit, but now it fits perfectly. My intake is one of my fave mods.

Here's an old photo of it before the chrome MAC intake tube. I also have red couplers now instead of black. The MAF electronics are stock, but the MAF body is C&L.

intake12.jpg

Back