Cold air intake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold air intake

Reaction score
City, State
Beaverton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer xlt
So I got the universal cold air intake installed today. Sounds better at idle. Still haven't drove it yet. I also put in one of those "turbo fans" to see what it does. I did have to move the coolant bottle to make clearance. That was easy enough. I'll update next week if I notice a difference with it all. Happy weekend guys and gals.

20220910_141542.jpg 20220910_141601.jpg 20220910_141608.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your engine is now breathing hot air actually. As it was factory was cooler air drawn from outside hood. Now you are drawing in the hottest air your truck makes, from under the hood.

You'll get more sound though.

What is a turbo fan?

Your engine is now breathing hot air actually. As it was factory was cooler air drawn from outside hood. Now you are drawing in the hottest air your truck makes, from under the hood.

You'll get more sound though.

What is a turbo fan?
I'm actually going to put in a heat shield and outside duct to draw in the cooler air. But it actually ran very well and the throttle response is better. A turbo fan is a aftermarket item that goes in line on the intake tube that draws in the air faster. some people think there worthless and some are, but if you get the right one it does work. Consider it an exhaust turbo without the exhaust.

I'm actually going to put in a heat shield and outside duct to draw in the cooler air. But it actually ran very well and the throttle response is better. A turbo fan is a aftermarket item that goes in line on the intake tube that draws in the air faster. some people think there worthless and some are, but if you get the right one it does work. Consider it an exhaust turbo without the exhaust.
Oh and the factory air box is ducted to the outside, but if you look inside your air box, you will see the air passages are restrictive and cumbersome to the air flow. Also, the duct is behind the headlight so max flow is restricted. I do agree that the air in the engine compartment is hotter, but in motion its drawing in cooler air everywhere and its not enough for trouble in normal driving in my opinion.

So I got the universal cold air intake installed today. Sounds better at idle. Still haven't drove it yet. I also put in one of those "turbo fans" to see what it does. I did have to move the coolant bottle to make clearance. That was easy enough. I'll update next week if I notice a difference with it all. Happy weekend guys and gals.

View attachment 434227 View attachment 434228 View attachment 434229
Quick update. The system works well, I have better throttle response and less throttle lag. All seems well and I experienced no issue with engine compartment heat. I do plan on building a heat shield / divider eventually just to protect it for when slinging mud and water on the trails. For those of you who don't know what a cold air intake fan is, I attached image so you can see it. These can and do work if your not expecting exhaust turbo results. its just to mix air turbulence for better air fuel mixture in the chamber. Its not going to give you horse power and street racing results.

61Ip10WMiJL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Quick update. The system works well, I have better throttle response and less throttle lag. All seems well and I experienced no issue with engine compartment heat. I do plan on building a heat shield / divider eventually just to protect it for when slinging mud and water on the trails. For those of you who don't know what a cold air intake fan is, I attached image so you can see it. These can and do work if your not expecting exhaust turbo results. its just to mix air turbulence for better air fuel mixture in the chamber. Its not going to give you horse power and street racing results.
That fan is a restriction. Squire turbos work but draw over 60 amps. No way that fan helps.

Building the heat box is a good idea. You might even try some piping , and, enlarge the intake path through the header panel near headlight to accommodate it passing through to grill area

That fan isn’t helping anything, and worse you’re risking sucking in garbage if it fails. I guarantee it’s not helping anything, and is not increasing how “fast” the air comes in. If “cold” air intakes were really beneficial they’d have them from the factory since they’d be free. They mostly improve sound, which makes a car feel faster, much like a louder muffler.

Get the air from the fender
Bit of a pain but it can be done

received_935173554546906_kindlephoto-185511521.jpg received_556275279617465.jpeg

Back