• Register Today It's free!

Cold Cruise control

Black 1000

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
I have a 94 Explorer Sport 4x4 and the cruise control does not like to engage when the temp outside is below freezing. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think this post needs revitalized, especially since I am experiencing the same problem. Mine won't work until I've driven it for about 30 minutes or so. It's frustrating. Any ideas ?

Yup same problem here. I don't have a clue.... any help would be nice...

I think the first thing I would do would be to go over the vacuum lines to the cruise servo to see if something is preventing the cruise from getting vacuum. Then go over the wiring to the module to see if it's an electrical issue.

When you say cold....

just how cold do you mean? If it's below freezing you may want to disconnect the vacuum lines going to the cruise for a while. The reason is if the lines have water in them the water will pool to low spots and plug the line when it freezes. I know this sounds far fetched but a friend of mine from years back had this exact same thing happen to him, I don't remember if he had an Ex or not. But the cure was to get the moisture out of the lines.

I've done a little experimenting on this problem in the last couple days. I turn the heater to panel and the fan on high as soon as I start out and, low and behold, the cruise kicks in waaaay earlier than it does when I'm not running the heater or running it on just floor. My theory after this is that there must be something wrong with the amp that's above the glovebox and warming it up puts it back in operation. I guess my next step will be to swap out a known good amp (from my other X) and see if it works cold. If that's the case, a trip to the local junkyard will be penciled in.

the servos tend to be tempramental in my expirence, i would tend to believe that it is the culprate.

Well guys, I'm pleased to report that my suspicions have proven to be correct. I swapped out the control module that mounts right above the glove box with the one out of my 91 that was known to be good and, YAY!, my cruise control worked right out of the driveway. Now I think I'll open up the bad one and see if I can troubleshoot it down to component level on the circuit board. :scratch:

Well guys, I'm pleased to report that my suspicions have proven to be correct. I swapped out the control module that mounts right above the glove box with the one out of my 91 that was known to be good and, YAY!, my cruise control worked right out of the driveway. Now I think I'll open up the bad one and see if I can troubleshoot it down to component level on the circuit board. :scratch:

Hey do you have any pics of the location of the module and maybe some instructions on how to access it...

Thanks,

I don't have any pics, but I'll be happy to explain. First of all, empty the glove box and squeeze the sides together as you pull it outward. Squeezing the sides allows the tabs that hold it to release their hold. You then just let the glove box hang upside down by its hinges. Next, there are two torx-head screws that are on each side of the glovebox latch loop (on the back-side,inside the dash). Take these two screws out. They hold in a bracket that includes the latch loop and, low and behold, the control module as well. You'll need to move it a little towards the center of the vehicle. Then the bracket and module will just drop down for easy access. There are two plugs for the wiring harness that just unplug. A lot simpler than I thought it was going to be, for sure.

Back