Cold morning, clutch needs to be pumped?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold morning, clutch needs to be pumped??

cflecknell

Reaction score
City, State
Banff, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 2-door 4WD
Ok, it's -29c outside this morning (-35c or something w/wind). Started it up, let it sit for a few mins to hopefully warm up a bit (plugged in all night).

Everything seems fine until I put it in reverse and back it out. I notice the clutch pedal is loose/no pressure for 90% of the stroke. Then while driving(all gears), changing gears us ridiculous. If I pump the clutch is will usually get better for the immediate time. While moving I think most of my shifting is just me sliding between gears with little to no help from the clutch.

When I bought the truck, the clutch slave cyl was toast, had the clutch plates and slave cyl. replace in mid Sept, and no issue until now. (Well, no clutch issues anyways).

I never remember horrible clutch issues like this when I owned manual trans before, bu that was also 10+ years ago, in a warmed part of the country.

Any ideas? I plan on heading back to the shop that did the clutch tomorrow, they at least gave a 6-mo warranty on everything.

Any ideas what's actually going on here? I wot' know what it's like in warmer conditions for a few days, cold until tues here.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the fluid level and check the ground for leaks. A rusted or weak line or fitting can fail in cold weather. The fluid becomes stiffer and it takes more pressure to force the fluid through the line. Up at the mine where I work the hydraulic systems always show their weak points when the temperature drops.

fluid was low, topped it up and working properly now. I will still take it in to the shop tomorrow to see if there's something that they'll take responsibility for(only ~900km left on the warranty for parts/labour, I know.. good luck).

I couldn't see drippings/puddles underneath, and nothing noticeable from the master cyl under the hood.

Thanks!

The fluids still inside the bell housing but it's there. Mine has a cold weather leak too. didn't show under the truck for a while.

Hope they make it right for you. Cause that shouldn't happen

Need Help Frozen Truck I Broke It

'94
so i pumped the clutch and it wouldnt come back to me all the way. i figured the ice had frozen it(like it had my doors, keyholes, windows and wheels somehow). i tried to break the ice myself and now what do you know... im leaking fluid INSIDE THE TRUCK. i obviously broke it worse than it was before.
now here are my questions.

where can i find the part i need(not good with vehicles so bear with me) the stick thats attached to the pedal. i need the part that it goes into.(housing?) am i going to have to find a junkyard or is this something that i can find at autozone?

how can i avoid this issue in the future? i live in michigan. its only getting down to 15 degrees F here so i dont have to plug it in or anything right now and yet im still having issues. is there anything else i need to know(my first mi winter with a vehicle)

can not help you with the part but plugging it in to warm it up will not hurt any thing but help it as even at 15F its still cold enough to freeze and make fluids run thicker like the oil so warming it up helps the motor lube its self better and faster . after all the most wear on a motor is at start up when all the oil has drained into the pan so its almost starting with dry parts . Not fully dry but darn close to it. I used to plug mine in when ever temps were going to hit below freezing just to help it run better but then that was back in Idaho now here in Calif that’s about as cold as it gets were I am period but I have over 200,000 miles with no major motor work done yet and no oil leaks or drips at all. So was it plugging it in or am I just luck who knows but I did play it safe that’s for sure.

Back