• Register Today It's free!

Cold start idle problem

thecause17

Reaction score
City, State
Hutchinson, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Ranger 4.0 4x4
I have a '97 SOHC, and I'm noticing an idle problem on cold starts. It also varies by outside temps. If it's a warm day, it will idel fine, even on a cold start, but if the outside temp is below, say 50 degrees, the idel will act funny, drop down to low, and miss, until you drive it for a minute or so.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone?

Do a search - tons of info.

It's your intake manifold O-Rings. Search for 00M12 - tons of info about SOHC idle problem on this site.

How much does that cost to replace...doing a search I find some info, but mostly every post says "do a search on 00M12" and that's about, or "it's your o-rings"

Where exactly are the o-rings on the lower IM, and how hard are they to replace on this engine? Is this a job that someone fairly mechanically inclined like myself can do?

Depending on how many miles on the truck, could cost you nothing. The program extended the warranty on them to either 75 or 100K (o-rings was one, timing chain cassettes/tensioners the other (program 01M01). I'd go to Ford and have them look up the maintenance history and see if either of the work covered by these two programs was done, and if not, if you are still covered.

There is a post with step by step instructions (including pictures) on how to do it. More searching and you will hit the motherlode, believe me! Try searching 01M01 as well.

This would even apply to a non original owner of the vehicle as well?

Back