Cold start/ possible fuel pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold start/ possible fuel pump

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn,NY - Newfoundland,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Hey guys so I have a question I need help with for my 2003 Ford explorer sport.
I'm a truck driver and had been away from my personal vehicle for a year now. I have started it a few times with no problem. But now with all the snow and cold weather I am having a issue starting her back up again.
The vehicle only has 125k miles, it ran great before.
I have plenty of fuel and oil. When I crank her up it doesn't turn over. Just keeps cranking. I bought a new battery just the other day but didn't help turn her over. I sprayed some engine starting fluid into the air intake and it worked only for a second. So my Spark plugs are good but it never turned over. I checked the fuel pump relay and it is good also.
The only thing I haven't checked was the fuel pump itself. I can't imagine it go bad since I haven't driven the vehicle for over a year and the 3 times I started her up I had no problems.
I been looking all over the forums and online but am having trouble finding a solution. I've been looking for the fuel pump pressure port or somewhere I can open up to check if there is any pressure. But I'm lost. I just can't find it. I've been trying to find diagrams and pictures but no luck in pinpointing the location.
Everywhere I looked and seen on YouTube and forums doesn't reflect the location for my 2003 Ford explorer sport.
I'm hoping someone here can help me out either in helping find a place to check the fuel pressure or a solution to get my vehicle started again.
I just bought inssurance and re-registered and will be using her again from now on, but it's a shame this has to happen now.
Is there a fuel pump fuse besides the relay?

Well I found the pressure Schrader valve and stuck something inside to try relieve the pressure just to see if there was any but did not hear anything or see anything. I also found my fuel pump reset button but it did not do anything.
All I wonder if there is a fuse besides the relay for the fuel pump?
And if this sounds like it is a fuel pump issue?
I'm a bit surprised it would be a fuel pump issue because the car hasn't been driven and started find the 3 times I did start it during the year. The relay also works. Just don't understand why it would just go bad?

If my only option is fuel pump I'd like to cut out a access panel but would first want to make sure with you guys about my options and possible solutions?

Is there a easy way to locate where to exactly cut for the access panel on a 2003 Ford explorer sport?

Back