• Register Today It's free!

cold weather start, or lack of

jojo51592

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 E.B.
To start with I hate cold weather haha. But anyway once temp outside drops to 30 or below my explorer doesnt want to stay running, unless I give it a little gas for around 30 seconds then it stays running no problem. Once I do that it stays running, its just acts up on the initial start up of the day. I have changed the fuel filter, cleaned the throttle body and maf. Not sure what to check next, any ideas or fixes for similar problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have some similar issues. I'm still in the process of troubleshooting. But here are some things to inspect.

IAC (idle air control).
Intake gaskets: From reading on the forum, It's possible that there is a vacuum leak when cold (gasket shrinks a bit). Once warmed up they expand and seal the leak. Can check this with a smoke machine, or attempting to spraying around the gaskets and check if the idle picks up.
ECT (engine coolant temp sensor). I believe my start issue is due to this. I wiggled it around/ topped off coolant, since then it has started just fine (past 3 or 4 days).
edit* read that you already cleaned this..... MAF (mass airflow sensor). Try cleaning.
TPS (trottle position sensor). You can check the voltage. You may want to search the forum for the proper value range (I think it's ~.95 Idle to 4.7 ish at WOT. Thats about the range I was getting with my scan tool).

I would check your ECT first. The sensor is cheap to replace. I opted to buy a new housing which included the temp sensor and new thermostat. Planning on replacing this weekend.

Matt

You will only have an IAC if it's a 2002 or 2003. They switched to electronic throttle in 2004.

Thank you. I will start with ECT as I believe I should honestly add coolant now that I think about it. I was kinda thinking maybe iac, but I'll check ECT first. I rebuilt the engine just now a year so I believe the gaskets should be good, but ya never know.

I initially thought mine was IAC. Spent around $35 on amazon for a motocraft replacement. Didn't fix the issue. That was around march of last year. I dealt with it since. Only recently have I started chasing the gremlin again.

Truck ran perfect all day today. No issues since the wiggle test.

I'm planning to do the following work over this coming weekend: Intake gaskets, injectors, valve cover gaskets (driver side is leaking a very little bit, a drop every so often), and the thermostat housing.

I first thought it was the iac, but my buddy says he thinks it might be egr. I will wiggle the ECT tomorrow and check that. Mine is only once it gets below freezing out. So this is the only time I worry about it, but last week we got to like -10 before wind chill

I first thought it was the iac, but my buddy says he thinks it might be egr. I will wiggle the ECT tomorrow and check that. Mine is only once it gets below freezing out. So this is the only time I worry about it, but last week we got to like -10 before wind chill
@jojo51592
Odds are high that Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor is faulty. It's purpose is to act like the old carburetor's choke, tells computer to richen-up mixture and speed up idle a bit, to keep cold engine running. I have seen symptoms like yours often: very cold temperature, engine standing out in cold for many hours, starts up, no initial speed-up, stalls. Start again, hold throttle open slightly for awhile, and soon it will no longer stall.

Indiana can be nasty in Winter. I lived in Ft. Wayne, worked for Dana Corp. in Churubusco, years ago. Cold 10-mile drive! imp

Yup that's exactly what it's doing. Stupid question but where is that located, I have the 4.6?

Oh yea gotta love Indiana weather, all over the place. Especially in the winter haha

I've got the 4.0 which uses a ECT mounted in the thermostat housing.

I think the 4.6 has what's called a CHT (cyclinder head temp) sensor which is threaded in. Unlike the 4.0 which is just pressed in to the termo housing held on by a clip.

I'm not 100% sure where yours would be located. I can check my service manual when I get home for you.

This is what the Haynes manual says. No pictures were present for V8, only V6.

Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) sensor (V8 Model):
  1. The CHT sensor is located in the valley between the cylinder heads (it's actually mounted on the left head)
  2. Remove the alternator
  3. disconnect the electrical connector from the CHT sensor.
  4. unscrew the CHT sensor and remove it.
  5. Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure to tighten the CHT sensor to the torque listed in this Chapter's Specifications
Specs:
CHT Sensor: 19 ft-lbs

I initially thought mine was IAC. Spent around $35 on amazon for a motocraft replacement. Didn't fix the issue. That was around march of last year. I dealt with it since. Only recently have I started chasing the gremlin again.

Truck ran perfect all day today. No issues since the wiggle test.

I'm planning to do the following work over this coming weekend: Intake gaskets, injectors, valve cover gaskets (driver side is leaking a very little bit, a drop every so often), and the thermostat housing.

you sure that $35 IAC is Motorcraft?

This is what the Haynes manual says. No pictures were present for V8, only V6.

Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) sensor (V8 Model):
  1. The CHT sensor is located in the valley between the cylinder heads (it's actually mounted on the left head)
  2. Remove the alternator
  3. disconnect the electrical connector from the CHT sensor.
  4. unscrew the CHT sensor and remove it.
  5. Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure to tighten the CHT sensor to the torque listed in this Chapter's Specifications
Specs:
CHT Sensor: 19 ft-lbs
Of course it's got to be somewhere that's a pain to get to. Thanks man I appreciate it

Back